Thread: Ohio River: barge loaded with methanol in collision, is partially underwater

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Post Ohio River: barge loaded with methanol in collision, is partially underwater

"A barge carrying 1,400 tons of methanol, a toxic substance, is among those to have crashed on the Ohio River near Louisville, Kentucky, on Tuesday and is partially submerged.

It comes just weeks after a toxic plume traveled down the major U.S. waterway from the site of a train derailment near East Palestine, on the border between Ohio and Pennsylvania, prompting measures to prevent contamination of the drinking water that is supplied to around 5 million people from the river."

https://www.newsweek.com/ohio-river-...ntucky-1791064
    Last edited by Buncheong; 03-29-23 at 10:30.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    What is with the derailment fad??? I mean WTF? Is madurna going to sell derailment vaccines or some sh1t???
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Couple years ago a few rail cars carrying ethanol went into the Rock River in Illinois. It kill all the fish down stream for over a hundred miles. There were so many fish that died it clogged up several dams and created a block up of the water.

Train derailments are up because of the companies are running trains that are 2-3x longer than just a couple years ago. They have fired or laid off over half of the employees and are running with skeleton crews. Track maintenance has gone away. The heat sensors on the rails have been turned off because they don't have the people to fix the sensors or the cars with problems. It is all to make more $.

Feedback Score
    This country gets the transportation infrastructure it deserves.

Cutting costs to maximize profits comes with some pretty unfavorable consequences.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Well my tin foil hat is on.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAMBONE View Post
    Well my tin foil hat is on.
    Talk to people that are in the rail business and you will hear what I said and A LOT more. How about not carrying any info on what they are hauling because they picked the load up from another rail company and say it is not their shipment so don't have to get the info. There are some very dangerous things going on and it is going to get very bad soon. I know of several train bridges that are so rotting you don't go near them for fear of the rusted metal falling off and hitting you. Huge holes in steel beams. Missing sections. Crumbling limestone footings and pillars.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    "A Minnesota town outside of Minneapolis has been ordered to evacuate Thursday morning after a train carrying 'a form of ethanol' and 'a corn syrup liquid' derailed and caught on fire, police say ... An evacuation area of ½ mile was established around the crash site and law enforcement officers and other EMS assisted with that evacuation," the statement continued. 'Residents were instructed to leave their homes and an emergency collection site for those with nowhere to go was established at the Central Minnesota Christian School building in nearby Prinsburg, Minnesota.'"

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/...ons-small-town
    Last edited by Buncheong; 03-30-23 at 10:27.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Duplicate
    Last edited by Buncheong; 03-30-23 at 10:26.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    This country gets the transportation infrastructure it deserves.

Cutting costs to maximize profits comes with some pretty unfavorable consequences.
    Yeah, this. This is what happens when the bare minimum is spent on maintenance and everything is pushed until it actually breaks before it's addressed.

To be perfectly honest, I'm surprised this doesn't happen even more frequently.

I stand at work all day and watch trucks and trains go tearing-ass by, and I think to myself, I wonder how much longer it's gonna be before one of those comes undone and smashes through the building spewing fiery toxic whatever-the-hell everywhere in the process...