Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are ALL the basic PSA lowers drilled and tapped for a standard Tensioning Screw?

Feedback Score

Are ALL the basic PSA lowers drilled and tapped for a standard Tensioning Screw?

[EDITED SEVERAL DAYS LATER] Today I looked through the Customer Q&A on the regular non-blem product page for the lower rcvr in question (lots more Q&A there than on the blem page). Sure enough, the Tensioning Screw question was asked-and-answered: The lower receiver is NOT drilled and tapped for a tensioning screw. Also, I found a phone number for PSA, but don't know if they ever answer it.

I find no method of communicating with PSA regarding basic pre-purchase questions. I posted a public "Question" on the PSA product page, but it could take months before somebody finds and answers it.

Basic PSA stripped lowers cost $60 at present ($50 for blems). I'm interested in the "Stealth" version.

Q1. Can you tell me whether that particular lower receiver is drilled and tapped for a standard 1/4-24 Tensioning Screw? A nylon-tipped screw that threads up through the floor of the lower receiver (above the grip) and creates tension by pressing against the upper receiver, thereby eliminating looseness between upper and lower receivers.

Q2. Are ALL the basic PSA lowers drilled and tapped for a standard Tensioning Screw?
    I might choose a lower rcvr other than the Stealth version.

Thanks
    Last edited by SearchMe; 03-31-23 at 16:01.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SearchMe View Post
    I find no method of communicating with PSA regarding basic pre-purchase questions. I posted a public "Question" on the PSA product page, but it could take months before somebody finds and answers it.

Basic PSA stripped lowers cost $60 at present ($50 for blems). I'm interested in the "Stealth" version.

Q1. Can you tell me whether that particular lower receiver is drilled and tapped for a standard 1/4-24 Tensioning Screw? A nylon-tipped screw that threads up through the floor of the lower receiver (above the grip) and creates tension by pressing against the upper receiver, thereby eliminating looseness between upper and lower receivers.

Q2. Are ALL the basic PSA lowers drilled and tapped for a standard Tensioning Screw?
    I might choose a lower rcvr other than the Stealth version.

Thanks
    A better question would be, why would you want that?
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by glocktogo View Post
    I'd forgotten about that "feature". But perhaps he's wanting to make sure he does NOT buy a lower with that.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If you are convinced that you want the cheapest lower possible (cost, quality, etc), you may find the $30 bucks you saved isn't worth it if and when you run into other issues later on.

Is there a reason you are seeking PSA, and if that is what you want, why not get one that says their name proudly across it?
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by glocktogo View Post
    He just joined up as a new member to this board, so I'm willing to cut him some slack and assume he doesn't know about the reputation the company has. Its also entirely possible that I'm wrong and we are being trolled...
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the warm welcome.

What's yer problem with PSA?

What's yer problem with Tensioning Screws?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    PSA is bottom of the barrel AR parts. Tensioning screws are not needed. You will find that is the opinion of the majority of this board's long time members.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SearchMe View Post
    Thanks for the warm welcome.

What's yer problem with PSA?

What's yer problem with Tensioning Screws?
    I don’t have a problem with PSA per se. I own one and for what it is, there’s nothing wrong with it. It’s a budget AR and worth what I paid for it. I don’t have a problem with tensioning screws because I don’t have any. They’re unnecessary at best.

As for the “warm welcome”, you’re not going to find a lot of emotional investment in budget AR’s or gimmicky doodads on this forum. It’s just not what this corner of the internet is about. If you’re capable of being a bit thicker skinned, it’s a great place to learn though, so welcome!
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    "Standard tensioning screw"

Hmmmm...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    If you are convinced that you want the cheapest lower possible (cost, quality, etc), you may find the $30 bucks you saved isn't worth it if and when you run into other issues later on.

Is there a reason you are seeking PSA, and if that is what you want, why not get one that says their name proudly across it?
    What problems have you had with PSA lowers? YOU, not guys parroting you or the late Will Larson.

I have a bunch of PSA lowers because 1) early on I was too dumb to know better; 2) Recently, I've bought several because of the silly logos some of them have. As an example, the Karen lower with the funny statements for safe/semi/auto; I buy them for my wall board of AR logos, although I did strip out my wife's PCC lower and replace it with the Karen one.

Kind of a funny thing, I have a set of pin gauges and all the holes have gauged within +/- ; apparently they are in spec, because dayum, the mags lock in and feed properly, even those pesky PMAGS that BCM's don't like; safeties install okay and work, firing groups assemble okay and work, pins don't walk. As I mentioned several years ago, they don't have as much forging flash as most Colt's I've looked at.

I haven't bought any recently, because there is enough 'PSA get you killed on da' streetz' going around the internet that the PSA logo - which is fugly - kills value. I do, however have several laying around in my TEOTWAWKI spares store.

So to sum it up, the AR lower is a much simpler CNC machining task than say an aerospace manifold. As the material is correct, just about any brand will work.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast