Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smith & Wesson SD40VE....are they worth a damn?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
    Let's get real here...It's not the pinnacle of modern duty handguns, but it's a hell of a long way away from a Hi Point. Like miles better.
    When discussing firearms they are either good or bad.

There is no need to debate if its Hi Point bad, since a turd is a turd. If you polish one turd and set it next to an unpolished turd, would you debate the level of turd it is?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by .45fan View Post
    My uncle owned one and it was junk. I've seen several at the range that malfunctioned and or shot around corners so to speak.
    Perhaps you uncle had a Sigma? As I said above, I have two and have literally never had a single malfunction out of either. I can't say that for my H&K or Glock pistols. The trigger pull is heavy, but if I take my time the accuracy is good. A friend of mine has two as well and has the same experience.

Most people that own them "claim" they are great, because who wants to admit they bought a turd?
    I'll be the first to admit that I bought a turd and am happy to let everyone know. I think there are two things at play here. First, many people can't get past first impressions. That is actually pretty understandable when you're betting your life on something functioning properly. Second, many people assume something won't perform as well simply because it's less expensive than an alternative product.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    Perhaps you uncle had a Sigma? As I said above, I have two and have literally never had a single malfunction out of either. I can't say that for my H&K or Glock pistols. The trigger pull is heavy, but if I take my time the accuracy is good. A friend of mine has two as well and has the same experience.

I'll be the first to admit that I bought a turd and am happy to let everyone know. I think there are two things at play here. First, many people can't get past first impressions. That is actually pretty understandable when you're betting your life on something functioning properly. Second, many people assume something won't perform as well simply because it's less expensive than an alternative product.
    My first post said he should look at a LEO trade M&P, since its .40 they are cheap because most people stopped using that caliber.

A LEO trade is cheap and I don't have any issues recommending them because they work.
    I can't say the same for the gun he asked about. I've seen more than one fail and accuracy is crap on many of them as well.

The M&P has multiple brands trigger kits available, so you can get a 2 pound trigger if that's what you want, the value line guns don't have that as an option.

Feedback Score
    I'm not rich but certainly of the means to buy a Glock 23 or M&P if I wanted to. Just saw this for $379 at a local Rural King and was wondering about it. I have to admit it does feel better in the hand than a Glock, so ergonomically I give it an edge. That said, there is a helluva lot more to a weapon than ergonomics and I appreciate the input.

I am leaning towards an HK P2000 V2 LEM in .40, although it would double the price. Maybe find a 357SIG barrel for it also? I had one years ago and could kick myself for getting rid of it (story of my life). I do recall it also had great ergonomics.

Why .40? I had a mix of calibers years ago and culled it down to 9mm. I still have a couple hundred rounds of .40 (most of it good carry ammo) and do indeed think it edges out the 9mm in performance, although barely. This is a classic case of buying a gun for the ammo you have, instead of the other way around! 9mm will still be my go-to and comprise the vast majority of my handguns but what the hell.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    I'm not rich but certainly of the means to buy a Glock 23 or M&P if I wanted to. Just saw this for $379 at a local Rural King and was wondering about it. I have to admit it does feel better in the hand than a Glock, so ergonomically I give it an edge. That said, there is a helluva lot more to a weapon than ergonomics and I appreciate the input.

I am leaning towards an HK P2000 V2 LEM in .40, although it would double the price. Maybe find a 357SIG barrel for it also? I had one years ago and could kick myself for getting rid of it (story of my life). I do recall it also had great ergonomics.

Why .40? I had a mix of calibers years ago and culled it down to 9mm. I still have a couple hundred rounds of .40 (most of it good carry ammo) and do indeed think it edges out the 9mm in performance, although barely. This is a classic case of buying a gun for the ammo you have, instead of the other way around! 9mm will still be my go-to and comprise the vast majority of my handguns but what the hell.
    if you notice most of the people responding never owned one, there opinion comes from the first series of sigma pistols which were junk, any of the newer models that end in VE are decent pistols. I purchased one to be a loaner gun and came to like it quite a bit, ergos are far better than Glock like you noticed. the internals are so similar to glock they were sued for it, and mine was every bit as reliable as my glock. Apex makes a trigger for it that solves the trigger pull.

I ended up giving mine away because someone I knew couldn't really afford to purchase a pistol. At the price you have listed I wouldn't be a buyer, but you regularly see them under 300. I would. uy another if I ever saw one under 300 again. If you do move forward you would have a functional pistol that has a heavy trigger pull but will reliably go bang.

that deal on the M&P that was posted was a great deal, and the M&P is better pistol but the SD will get the job done.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    I have a SW9VE and a SW40VE. The SW series is the predecessor to the SD series. The problems with the original Sigma series turned so many people off that S&W could hardly give away the SW and later SD series pistols. Never having owned a Sigma, I was willing to give an SW40VE at try because the price was certainly right. It's been 100% reliable and is a good pistol (especially for the money) save for the heavy trigger pull. It's like shooting a revolver. I like the ergonomics and the sights. I liked it so much that I purchased a SW9VE. My experience with it is the same. I could only be happier if the trigger wasn't so heavy. I'd purchase an SD series pistol which in theory should be an improvement over the SW series, but the differences are too minor to justify it. M&P's are better pistols, but not better for the money pistols. Let your budget and your willingness to have a heavy trigger pull be your guide.
    I owned a SW40VE and agree with everything you said, except I did not like mine and sold it. If it was a 9mm I probably would have kept it for a beater. Very much a double action revolver trigger feel.

For the price difference, I would buy a used Glock or M&P for the better aftermarket and parts support.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 03-31-23 at 07:59.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12