Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smith & Wesson SD40VE....are they worth a damn?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Smith & Wesson SD40VE....are they worth a damn?

Title says it all. Is it worth it to buy one? Obviously about $100+ less than a comparable Glock 23, just wondering if these were POS or actually decent for the price.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Find a police trade M&P for a similar price. The last couple years with cops dropping that caliber the M&P's were dirt cheap.

Those "value line" guns are garbage. Think Hi Point as a comparison.
    It might go bang most of the time but the rounds might also go around corners and there is no after market support for them.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by .45fan View Post
    Find a police trade M&P for a similar price. The last couple years with cops dropping that caliber the M&P's were dirt cheap.

It might go bang most of the time but the rounds might also go around corners and there is no after market support for them.
    They're that bad?
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    They're that bad?
    It's not a "professional" grade firearm. In it's previous life it was called "Sigma", and was known to be problematic with functioning and accuracy issues. I had one of the very first Sigmas in .40, and although mine functioned "okay", accuracy was abysmal. S&W lost their asses on that gun design and ended up losing Glocks lawsuit for patent infringement. S&W ended up renaming the gun twice I believe, as has been just about every product with the word "value". In addition to the rename, and some cosmetic changes S&W ended up having to drop pricing to "saturday night special" levels just to get rid of them, I remember seeing them in gun stores new for perhaps $225.00 or so. I was so pissed at my POS Sigma that it was almost twenty years before I purchased another S&W semi-auto. The M&P is/was a great improvement.
    “Detached Reflection Cannot Be Demanded in the Presence of an Uplifted Knife” ~ Brown v. United States (1921)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    We've had a few come through work. Honestly, they really do seem only a slight improvement from a Hi-Point. Seriously, Glock has better ergonomics, and I HATE how Glocks feel. I can't comment on how reliable they are, but the cheap plastic and poor balance don't inspire confidence.
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Feedback Score
    AIM Surplus has the M&P 40 LEO trade in for $279.99. Much better gun for the money

https://aimsurplus.com/products/leo-...o-thumb-safety

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    They're that bad?
    Yes

My uncle owned one and it was junk. I've seen several at the range that malfunctioned and or shot around corners so to speak.

Most people that own them "claim" they are great, because who wants to admit they bought a turd?

Feedback Score
    My uncle owned one and it was junk. I've seen several at the range that malfunctioned and or shot around corners so to speak.
    Perhaps you uncle had a Sigma? As I said above, I have two and have literally never had a single malfunction out of either. I can't say that for my H&K or Glock pistols. The trigger pull is heavy, but if I take my time the accuracy is good. A friend of mine has two as well and has the same experience.

Most people that own them "claim" they are great, because who wants to admit they bought a turd?
    I'll be the first to admit that I bought a turd and am happy to let everyone know. I think there are two things at play here. First, many people can't get past first impressions. That is actually pretty understandable when you're betting your life on something functioning properly. Second, many people assume something won't perform as well simply because it's less expensive than an alternative product.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    Perhaps you uncle had a Sigma? As I said above, I have two and have literally never had a single malfunction out of either. I can't say that for my H&K or Glock pistols. The trigger pull is heavy, but if I take my time the accuracy is good. A friend of mine has two as well and has the same experience.

I'll be the first to admit that I bought a turd and am happy to let everyone know. I think there are two things at play here. First, many people can't get past first impressions. That is actually pretty understandable when you're betting your life on something functioning properly. Second, many people assume something won't perform as well simply because it's less expensive than an alternative product.
    My first post said he should look at a LEO trade M&P, since its .40 they are cheap because most people stopped using that caliber.

A LEO trade is cheap and I don't have any issues recommending them because they work.
    I can't say the same for the gun he asked about. I've seen more than one fail and accuracy is crap on many of them as well.

The M&P has multiple brands trigger kits available, so you can get a 2 pound trigger if that's what you want, the value line guns don't have that as an option.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Let's get real here...It's not the pinnacle of modern duty handguns, but it's a hell of a long way away from a Hi Point. Like miles better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast