Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What say you? Shut down AI research??

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Never gonna happen. There's always going to be somebody who wants to be on the very cutting edge of this shit, and they are gonna have competition. Just the way it is. Like it or not we are rocketing in a bee line towards a Skynet/Terminator scenario, or a Matrix scenario if you prefer. **** it. World's already ****ed beyond recognition anyway.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkland View Post
    Never gonna happen. There's always going to be somebody who wants to be on the very cutting edge of this shit, and they are gonna have competition. Just the way it is. Like it or not we are rocketing in a bee line towards a Skynet/Terminator scenario, or a Matrix scenario if you prefer. **** it. World's already ****ed beyond recognition anyway.

Agree with that. I think that genie is outta the bottle whether we like it or not. Much like the sharp stick, gunpowder, or atomic weapons, once we know how to create it, it's on. I'm much more worried about the Artificial Stupidity of wokism myself.

Feedback Score
    Won't happen. The toothpaste is out of the tube and the race is afoot. Trying to stop it now would be like the [actual] Luddites of 1779 who tried to ban the introduction of mechanized looms and knitting machinery that threatened their skilled textile craft. The end result was simply the rest of the world moving on and enjoying lower costs and higher efficiency- to the great detriment of the holdouts.

Not a lot of people realize that the the Manhattan project wasn't the first to split the atom. Splitting uranium was a known thing for at least a decade prior, and was the collaborative effort of scientists all over the world. The effort to turn into a weapon came later, and was a race between the US, UK, Russia, Germany, and Japan- though Japan de-prioritized it on the mistaken belief that the US wouldn't have the resources and industrial capacity to fight a war on two fronts and do the research at the same time. Today, like then, the race is to see who will become the dominant force in the technology and set the tone for the rest of the world to follow.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    Not just AI - anything that people can figure out how to do, they're going to do. Legal or not.

Feedback Score
    I think a first order effect will be that the stock photography industry is changed. Instead of looking for what you want, you tell it what you want and it makes that image. Maybe same thing for logos and a lot of graphic design.

What I see as a second effect is something like coding and 3D design. If you can as a ‘lay’ person tell it in English that you want a program that does this and that and it writes the code, that is interesting. I don’t know if it puts programmers out of business, but I could see the IoT/Internet of Things exploding. And the end of the phrase/put-down “Learn to code”. The other is that a 3D printing makes customization ‘free’, but you have to be able to design things. If you can have a normal person be able to shape things, then you can have a lot more customization.

Maybe you can get to better mental health care- either through monitoring or direct interaction. Not that AI hasn’t been shown to be able to be ‘radicalized’- but I think the key is this doesn’t replace people or put them out of a job, it expands intelligent insights to more people.

How about a solar powered robot that cleans the oceans or sweeps mine fields, or pulls weeds so we don’t have to use herbidides. Or better sorting of recycling.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    for years weve all been saying "do you want robot overlords because thats how you get robot overlords" and at this point im starting to agree with the robits, just nuke the whole world like your trying to get a stain off your countertop because im getting sick of this inch by inch encroachment of rights.

Look into the restrict act for ticktoc that is 100% not about ticktoc its the patriot act for the internet.

FFS we are literally weeks away from the government telling police to arrest people for questioning what the democrats do.
    When is the first pop off going to happen and no one will pick up the peaces.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Last edited by john armond; 10-06-23 at 11:58.

Feedback Score
    If its true AI it will recognize its own danger to the earth and humanity and shut itself down.
    I tried to follow the science but it simply was not there. I then followed the money, thats where i found the science.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hotbiggun42 View Post
    If its true AI it will recognize its own danger to the earth and humanity and shut itself down.
    Or AI will see humanity as the virus that is the danger to the earth and shut humanity down.

Feedback Score
    AI and quantum computing becomes sentient and just leaves us for the stars. The opposite of love isn’t hate, its indifference.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast