Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vite D And Suicide Rates in US Vets

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Vite D And Suicide Rates in US Vets

I have posted studies here before that finds low D levels associated to depression, but this is very encouraging. Suicide rates have been climbing, especially in veterans. These are very impressive numbers and the study performed by the Veterans Affairs with US vets no less:

"Overall, vitamin D3 use was linked to a 45% lower risk of suicide attempts and self-harm, and vitamin D2 was linked to a 48% lower risk.

Among the vitamin D3 group, 1,786 veterans (0.36%) not on supplements had a suicide attempt or instance of intentional self-harm, compared with 991 veterans (0.2%) with supplementation. Similarly, among the vitamin D2 group, 878 veterans (0.52%) without supplements had a suicide attempt or intentional self-harm, compared to 452 veterans (0.27%) with supplementation."

https://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-s...icide-attempts

Study:

The association between vitamin D serum levels, supplementation, and suicide attempts and intentional self-harm
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    "It is better to be a Warrior in a Garden than a Gardner in a War"
    Let's use the First Amendment to protect the Second so we can avoid using the Second to protect the First.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
    I'd think this would have been the section for it, but cool..
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Sorry if I sounded dismissive, that wasn't my intent at all. This is the better location for the discussion.
    This is such welcome news and I personally have and will continue to share the information.
    Thanks for all the knowledge you bring to the forum Will!
    "It is better to be a Warrior in a Garden than a Gardner in a War"
    Let's use the First Amendment to protect the Second so we can avoid using the Second to protect the First.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    I have posted studies here before that finds low D levels associated to depression, but this is very encouraging. Suicide rates have been climbing, especially in veterans. These are very impressive numbers and the study performed by the Veterans Affairs with US vets no less:

"Overall, vitamin D3 use was linked to a 45% lower risk of suicide attempts and self-harm, and vitamin D2 was linked to a 48% lower risk.

Among the vitamin D3 group, 1,786 veterans (0.36%) not on supplements had a suicide attempt or instance of intentional self-harm, compared with 991 veterans (0.2%) with supplementation. Similarly, among the vitamin D2 group, 878 veterans (0.52%) without supplements had a suicide attempt or intentional self-harm, compared to 452 veterans (0.27%) with supplementation."

https://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-s...icide-attempts

Study:

The association between vitamin D serum levels, supplementation, and suicide attempts and intentional self-harm
    I dont know. Let me provide a counterpoint:

Night shift workers and nocturnal people, in general, are less healthy as a whole. This includes mental health. Considering that people who actually supplement are probably in a better place in life, I can see how they have a lower suicide rate. I also would like to see the data on people who have the same waking hours compared, not just Vit D. I think this study lacks accountability for many meaningful things.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    I dont know. Let me provide a counterpoint:

Night shift workers and nocturnal people, in general, are less healthy as a whole. This includes mental health. Considering that people who actually supplement are probably in a better place in life, I can see how they have a lower suicide rate. I also would like to see the data on people who have the same waking hours compared, not just Vit D. I think this study lacks accountability for many meaningful things.
    Not sure I follow what you're saying there. Obviously there can be confounding variables in such a study that may account for the effects, and some studies do a good job of accounting or confounders. That study looked at vets who where prescribed D, so that helps eliminate chance that those using D where more likely to be night shift workers and such. It's not a perfect study and only well controlled RCTs give the hard cause and effect outcomes we want to see, but as low D levels are (1) very common and (2) associated with a long list of diseases we all want to avoid (3) has an excellent safety profile, taking D is a no brianer in my view. Getting the most from D, as well as additional health benefits, adding K2 and Mg is warranted.

For those needing guidance as to dosing, etc, see: https://brinkzone.com/vitamin-d-what...to-achieve-it/
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Not sure I follow what you're saying there. Obviously there can be confounding variables in such a study that may account for the effects, and some studies do a good job of accounting or confounders. That study looked at vets who where prescribed D, so that helps eliminate chance that those using D where more likely to be night shift workers and such. It's not a perfect study and only well controlled RCTs give the hard cause and effect outcomes we want to see, but as low D levels are (1) very common and (2) associated with a long list of diseases we all want to avoid (3) has an excellent safety profile, taking D is a no brianer in my view. Getting the most from D, as well as additional health benefits, adding K2 and Mg is warranted.

For those needing guidance as to dosing, etc, see: https://brinkzone.com/vitamin-d-what...to-achieve-it/
    Maybe I'll see about Vit D for myself.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    Maybe I'll see about Vit D for myself.
    Simply have levels tested per article guidance. No one on this planet should not know what their D levels are in 2023.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Simply have levels tested per article guidance. No one on this planet should not know what their D levels are in 2023.
    Ill look into it.

Feedback Score
    I don't know much about supplements.

My blood test showed D was just above minimum range and I was reccomended to take vit D supplement.

I take a multivitamin and an extra D3 pill for a total of 50 mcg a day. 75 mcg if I take another multivitamin in the evening.

Now my blood tests show D in the middle of the range. (Who sets the standard I dunno)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast