Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Back up iron sights when using LPVO

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Most mounts of QD type are more of a liability for zero shift or failure than quality LPVOs. I prefer to use non QD mounts like the Reptilia, C1 Badger, NF, etc. I carry a tool om the gun (for Reptilia, this is a small torx in the grip) to remove it administratively. I also have 12 o clock mounted night vision compatible RDS. Should I have an issue "in the middle of a gunfight" that removed both my nx8 and acro or DPP-NV, Id think it rather extreme, indeed. However, sitting in the deer stand, freezing rain can be a thing. That is why I use buis and keep the torx on the gun. I find it the best compromise between using more failure prone systems like a qd mount, and eschewing backups all together.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    Most mounts of QD type are more of a liability for zero shift or failure than quality LPVOs. I prefer to use non QD mounts like the Reptilia, C1 Badger, NF, etc. I carry a tool om the gun (for Reptilia, this is a small torx in the grip) to remove it administratively. I also have 12 o clock mounted night vision compatible RDS. Should I have an issue "in the middle of a gunfight" that removed both my nx8 and acro or DPP-NV, Id think it rather extreme, indeed. However, sitting in the deer stand, freezing rain can be a thing. That is why I use buis and keep the torx on the gun. I find it the best compromise between using more failure prone systems like a qd mount, and eschewing backups all together.
    Agreed. I've used an ADM Recon Mount in the past, and had some zero shift issues with the mount. Only used quality fixed mounts from that point, with zero issues.

As for the primary optic going down, it's got to be a pretty rare occurrence. I've spent a lot of time behind scoped rifles in harsh hunting environments, very bad weather, run-and-gun competitions, training classes, and other abuse, without ever needing a backup sighting system. But i understand it could happen, especially in a combat environment, so I have BUIS or offset sights on all my ARs to give me that warm fuzzy feeling.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123