Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Back up iron sights when using LPVO

Feedback Score

Back up iron sights when using LPVO

With all the talk about a sudden surge in interest of the LPVO, I haven't seen the mention of back up iron sights with the LPVO. Can they co witness with the optic? I currently have an Eotech 518 and use the Magpul back up iron sights, but if I were to change to an LPVO, would the back up irons be necessary? Or is an offset red dot a better idea?
    Last edited by La26; 04-04-23 at 08:42.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    They scope is usually too long for a rear sight to flip up. I doubt it would work, but there's no set up I've seen that would allow it to be tested. As far as necessary? That all depends on intended use. Maybe a qd mount and a flip up rear under the scope.

I personally don't like LPVOs at all and would never have one for serious use. It's a "shit or get of the fence" selection to me.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    You can only co-witness with an RDS or HWS, LPVOs and prismatic sights cannot co-witness.

Whether or not BUIS are necessary depends entirely on your risk assessment. I personally think BUIS are necessary on all of my guns; for some folks and their uses, they may feel otherwise, and I would not necessarily disagree with them. I do not use QD mounts for my LPVOs, so I have offset BUIS (along with RDSes at 1200).

Is there really a sudden surge of interest in LPVOs based off of a single video that doesn't even really showcase the strengths of an LPVO (is it even proven that an LPVO was used to take the shots, rather than an offset RDS)? If so, that's hilariously pathetic.
    Last edited by Defaultmp3; 04-04-23 at 08:46.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    Yea, I agree, however it seems to be the interest of a lot of folks now, albeit over just one incident, and it appears that he was actually sighting with an offset red dot when taking the shot.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Etched reticle optics and a buis?
    No, you can but you need a qd mount and co witness is a never.

Just forget about it and hope your optic isn't total crap

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My .308 AR is the only one with BUIS.
    Don't always need or want to use a scope so it's on a QD mount.
    My other mounts are regular ol' cross bolts.

Feedback Score
    Thanks guys. It was just a question I had. Thanks for your responses.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidneyious View Post
    Just forget about it and hope your optic isn't total crap
    The best optics in the world are still liable to condensate in certain weather conditions.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    If a scope fails you may not be able to see through it, so either a quick detach mount to access the iron sights or offset sights. The latter being faster while the former being more robust if a FSP.

A fixed power scope plus an offset red dot may be lighter than a LPVO + BUIS. You would only have one unmagnified sight but occluded eye sighting could be used if the scope is daylight illuminated and that method works for you.

Feedback Score
    For me my shots are more likely much further out and I've always put scopes in place with LaRue mounts and BUIS. In the event a scope broke, has never happened before, I'd take the scope off and flip up irons.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast