Thread: Repeating radio signal leads astronomers to an Earth-size exoplanet

Feedback Score

Repeating radio signal leads astronomers to an Earth-size exoplanet

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/04/world...scn/index.html

CNN

Astronomers have detected a repeating radio signal from an exoplanet and the star that it orbits, both located 12 light-years away from Earth. The signal suggests that the Earth-size planet may have a magnetic field and perhaps even an atmosphere.

Earth’s magnetic field protects the planet’s atmosphere, which life needs to survive, by deflecting energetic particles and plasma that stream out from the sun. Finding atmospheres around planets located outside of our solar system could point to other worlds that potentially have the ability to support life.
    “I’m not saying it’s aliens…. But it’s aliens!”
    Religion is doing what you are told no matter what is right. Morality is doing what is right no matter what you are told...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tn1911 View Post
    https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/04/world...scn/index.html

“I’m not saying it’s aliens…. But it’s aliens!”
    Not the radio signals I was hoping for, but cool.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Not the radio signals I was hoping for, but cool.
    And you'll probably never hear them in your lifetime. Radio astronomy for detecting intelligent life outside of our solar system is all but useless unless it picks up communications between two interplanetary craft.

It's simple as I can put it, the background radio interference from the host star is going to wash out in a radio wave made by an intelligent being after about one light year from the star. Unless you just happen to be in the same neighborhood, you're not going pick it up. That's right, all of the chatter we've been sending out to space for the last hundred something years is being washed out by our own sun. After two or three light years, no one's going to hear anything other than our star. It's like putting a candle in front of the sun, then trying to see the candle from a few thousand miles away. All you will see is the sunlight.

Yes, they will be able to detect magnetic fields from planets such as earth, but those fields are thousands if not millions times stronger than any radio waves we've ever sent out. No one's going to be watching our old I love Lucy reruns. Unless someone is flying by...
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Another source for Fake Democrat Ballots!! Woo hoo!!!
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v