Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mini-14 barrel thread shoulder can't mount a sound suppressor?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Attachment 70680

Here is a bad picture of the bare muzzle.

There isn't much of a shoulder. And it's tapered, not squared off like a .300 BLK Mini-14. Threads are 5/8 in x24.

My can will come with a flash hider. (556K-FLOW) What shoulder ring do I need to mount the can nice and straight?
    First, nice choice of suppressor. You'll love it.

Second, is that picture really bad, or is that muzzle not threaded?

Either way, if you're gonna suppress the Mini 14, I would suggest getting the barrel re-threaded concentrically in 1/2x28. Use the flash hider the comes with.

ETA: Be careful using the shims that come from OSS/Huxwrx. The thick washer isn't perfectly flat and will mount the muzzle device crookedly.
    Last edited by georgeib; 08-15-23 at 17:50.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    First, nice choice of suppressor. You'll love it.

Second, is that picture really bad, or is that muzzle not threaded?

Either way, if you're gonna suppress the Mini 14, I would suggest getting the barrel re-threaded concentrically in 1/2x28. Use the flash hider the comes with.

ETA: Be careful using the shims that come from OSS/Huxwrx. The thick washer isn't perfectly flat and will mount the muzzle device crookedly.
    Bad picture. It's threaded. Hardly any shoulder though. Thanks for the tip about the washer I'll be careful.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I wouldn’t shoot my silencers on that “shoulder”. Some mounts can stop on the muzzle, they don’t need a shoulder. I would find one of those.

Did you make sure the silencer even has 5/8-24 mounts available? Because the mount that comes with a 5.56 silencer is going to be 1/2-28.

And then more in general, why? After your 9mm disappointment you decided to mount a loud 5.56 silencer on a bad host.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    I wouldn’t shoot my silencers on that “shoulder”. Some mounts can stop on the muzzle, they don’t need a shoulder. I would find one of those.

Did you make sure the silencer even has 5/8-24 mounts available? Because the mount that comes with a 5.56 silencer is going to be 1/2-28.

And then more in general, why? After your 9mm disappointment you decided to mount a loud 5.56 silencer on a bad host.
    Agreed with everything you wrote, with exception of the bolded phrase. The Flow 556K is the quietest at the ear 556 suppressor that Pew Science has tested.

Last edited by georgeib; 08-16-23 at 11:07.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score

Both my Mini and the 556K Flow are 1/2x28.

Yea, I know a supersonic rifle round will always be loud. I wanted it to not ring my ears when I'm wearing plugs & muffs at an indoor range or outdoor range next to walls and such. (I shoot at both types)

I will get one of those "shoulder rings" if I need to. Probably will need to.
    Last edited by Ron3; 08-16-23 at 11:38.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The 5/8-24 reference earlier is confusing, but must have been in reference to the 300 BLK thread.

I would check your muzzle device for an internal shoulder. See I f the end of the threads steps down to a small hole. As long as it’s square and flat, you can use that against the muzzle.

The problem with trying to apply the SCAR or SIG shoulder part here, is the the SCAR has a small but distinct shoulder at the base of the threads and the SIG has a precision taper. Your picture looks more like a big radius, so there isn’t anything to match the adapter part to.

Feedback Score
    The 5/8-24 reference earlier is confusing, but must have been in reference to the 300 BLK thread.

I would check your muzzle device for an internal shoulder. See I f the end of the threads steps down to a small hole. As long as it’s square and flat, you can use that against the muzzle.

The problem with trying to apply the SCAR or SIG shoulder part here, is the the SCAR has a small but distinct shoulder at the base of the threads and the SIG has a precision taper. Your picture looks more like a big radius, so there isn’t anything to match the adapter part to.
    I see. Hopefully the included Flow flash hider mount seats against the muzzle.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    Agreed with everything you wrote, with exception of the bolded phrase. The Flow 556K is the quietest at the ear 556 suppressor that Pew Science has tested.
    As best as I can figure, the “suppressor rating” is some secret formula math project. Thus nobody can replicate it, nor understand how the formula is weighted.

It appears to be some combination of time, frequency, and sound pressure level.

Something like this is used in industrial hearing safety for exposure limits that include duration. It is suitable for hearing protection concerns over a work shift, may be suitable for how much .22 or subsonic 9mm is actually hearing safe, but it is not an effective way to measure how loud something “sounds” to the human ear.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    As best as I can figure, the “suppressor rating” is some secret formula math project. Thus nobody can replicate it, nor understand how the formula is weighted.

It appears to be some combination of time, frequency, and sound pressure level.

Something like this is used in industrial hearing safety for exposure limits that include duration. It is suitable for hearing protection concerns over a work shift, may be suitable for how much .22 or subsonic 9mm is actually hearing safe, but it is not an effective way to measure how loud something “sounds” to the human ear.
    Yeah, there's definitely more to it than I understand. I know that shooting a Flow 556 next to a HX-QD 556, and Turbo K, they all sound pretty damn similar indoors and out, with a slight edge going to the 2 OSS/Hux cans. None of which I would describe as loud, nor all that quite for that matter. But they were all tolerable without hearing pro.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    You could contact JMac and see if one of their facemount Keymo mounts would be applicable. Of course then you’d need to use Keymo.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast