Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who has given up booz and why?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Who has given up booz and why?

When did you give it up and why?

I drink once a week, probably 1-2 more drinks than optimally healthy per data. Considering who I am and what I do for a living, should no doubt quit totally. But, my approach has always been one of (attempted) balance and moderation, and I like to drink. But, I do come from a long line of people who had major issues with booz, and a good % of family members long time AA members.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Did the dry January thing this year. I was both dreading and hoping I'd feel GREAT! But I really didn't feel a slight bit better. I partly wanted a good reason to not drink, but after 31 days... no difference.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Did the dry January thing this year. I was both dreading and hoping I'd feel GREAT! But I really didn't feel a slight bit better. I partly wanted a good reason to not drink, but after 31 days... no difference.
    I took almost 3 months off last year or so, and like you, didn't notice any differences.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I gave it up for a year (2022) and have only a few drinks this year. Why? I like it too much.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Pretty much gave it up. Just on occasion. Don't really crave it all anymore.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    I took almost 3 months off last year or so, and like you, didn't notice any differences.
    Another one along the lines of what MarkM said. I have yet to notice a real difference in anything. I stopped recently to see how much it helps me drop a couple pounds, but I foresee nothing exciting happening. I don't drink to get drunk, and I don't feel any strong desires to have alcohol when I stop.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Honestly, I probably should (take a break). I can go long periods of not drinking, but when I do, can kill fifth of whiskey in 2 days.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    Honestly, I probably should (take a break). I can go long periods of not drinking, but when I do, can kill fifth of whiskey in 2 days.
    I’m the same way. Like Will I have familial booze history that is concerning enough to make me think about it. About twice a year I quit altogether for a few months and/or moderate to a sharp degree for a few months. During those times, I don’t experience cravings or withdrawal symptoms or anything, nor do I have epiphany-inducing health changes, unfortunately. I do tend to lose a little bit of weight at first, which is fine. I don’t have a ton of excess fat, but losing a bit is a good thing. However, after a couple months, I drastically have to increase my caloric intake or my bodyweight will continue to drop.

I’m actually in a break from booze right now because I had an ulcer, and I was certainly drinking too frequently. The ulcer healed quickly with medication and diet, but I just haven’t really felt like drinking lately. I had two glasses of whiskey at a resturaunt a week ago, and it was kind of disappointing. Waste of money. I’m sometimes a little jealous of normal people that do that like once a quarter, and enjoy it. Did nothing for me. There’s a saying about alcoholics (addicts of any type, really): “one drink is too many, and a thousand are never enough”. The implication is that for other people, 2-4 drinks produces the desired effects without a desire for more, but I don’t get to experience a nice buzz followed by restful sleep. Of that, I am jealous.

I go through phases where I drink more than I should, more frequently than I should, yet alcohol and the human relationship with it is an enigma to me. Its too bad for your health to be a decent every day or even week hobby, it costs money, its a turn off to some women, it has no nutritional value, hangovers exist, makes one stupid and compromises judgement, inhibits learning, practice doesn’t make one better at it, it degrades performance at basically everything, and its garbage as a sleep aid. And on top of that, it is physiologic dependence-forming and one of the most concerning and insidious drugs of abuse in America today.

Feedback Score
    Last summer I came to the realization that no matter what I drank, I felt like garbage the next day. So I didn’t drink for 4-5 months. At Christmas, I tried a sip of bourbon and was ok, and I occasionally will have a small amount of beer or wine still but not more than half a glass. I enjoy the taste of most because I also enjoy the taste of food, but I don’t really feel different day to day from not drinking, save for the day after. I don’t feel like garbage anymore.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I think it's good to take a break from any habit now and then. Drinking is one of those things of course, so from time to time, I will abstain.
    I'm one of those lucky People, I don't get "Hang Overs".

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast