Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do short "K" style cans have less back pressure than full-size?

Feedback Score

Do short "K" style cans have less back pressure than full-size?

And how do they compare to the newer "reduced back pressure" or "free flow" cans?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yes, short cans tend to have less back pressure compared to their longer counterparts, most other things being equal. They still don't really compare to OSS/Huxwrx cans, however. Pew Science testing shows them to be the quietest cans tested (out of a few dozen) at the shooter's ear. Furthermore, due to their only increasing bolt speed by 5% over baseline, they do not require tuning of the host weapons. Finally, gas to the face and port pop are greatly reduced or eliminated in gas guns.

I have a pair of OSS Ti cans, in 5.56 and 7.62, and I can attest that they definitely make shooting much less gassy, and don't require tuning compared to standard baffle cans I own (even my Turbo K) or have tried on other people's weapons.
    Last edited by georgeib; 04-06-23 at 20:25.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    Keep in mind, quieter at ear generally means louder overall.

Do you want a can to reduce your exposure as a shooter or reduce your signiture from others?

Feedback Score
    Take a look at pew science.

Feedback Score
    For this application, a .223 Mini-14 Tactical, I'd like a little reduction for myself and those around. (Covered range, indoor range, and private property that isn't as remote as I'd like)

I was thinking of getting something short & light like the Turbo K.

But if the open action of the Mini is going to result in alot of gas face I should consider the Huxwrx, but I haven't checked on the size & weight of those.

Keep in mind the 16 in Mini like mine comes with the same gas bushing as an 18 in so the 16 isn't as over gassed as the 18 and I use .223 from this gun. Ok, occasionally some 5.56. The Mini's have a .223 Wylde chamber is my understanding.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    I didn't know that.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Honestly I think a Mini-14 is going to struggle suppressed with GTF regardless.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    Honestly I think a Mini-14 is going to struggle suppressed with GTF regardless.
    That would dampen the fun and make me wish I'd bought a new 686+ 3 in instead. (That i could have now not a year later)

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    I didn't know that.
    It's true on the AR in my experience. A tight bore can with lots of baffles gives of the back pressure, and that translates into what I call "port snap" (registered trademark of markm)

Overbored K cans are the way to go.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post

Do you want a can to reduce your exposure as a shooter or reduce your signiture from others?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    I didn't know that.
    The whole "louder overall" and "quieter at the ear" things are really more academic than they are noticeable with the naked ear. When I first started buying suppressors and doing my research in advance, the most common and salient advice was, "don't get caught up in decibel numbers." It was, and is, excellent advice. There is much more to the "right" suppressor than a few dB one way or another. Weight, length, flash suppression, gas blowback - to the face and as it affects weapon function, are some of the important ones.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast