Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do short "K" style cans have less back pressure than full-size?

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    @markm - so a .30cal K is preferred to a 5.56 K for a 5.56 gun?
    Matthew 10:28

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sadmin View Post
    @markm - so a .30cal K is preferred to a 5.56 K for a 5.56 gun?
    Depends who you ask. If I were buying a can for one of my ARs, I would certainly be getting a light weight 30 cal K can that directly threads to the barrel.

Generally speaking, Back pressure is lower, weight is lower, and port snap is lower.

In the early days of AAC and Gemtech, everyone wanted "full-auto" rated cans with the lowed Db ratings. Two of the WORST things you could want because you get a HEAVY can with massive back pressure. The m4-2000 for example. They're miserably heavy cans that have terrible back pressure. Compared to modern selections, those things are terrible on an AR.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    On quieter at ear equaling louder at the muzzle, I’m not convinced. I own a pile of rifle silencers and have used another pile. I’m certain that it is true sometimes, particularly with un-tuned hosts or older cans with more extreme bias. However, I’ve seen metering videos that used legit meters in which cans that differed only in bore diameter (exceedingly rare) on factory Colt 16” and 10.5” rifles in which there was little or no difference at the ear, but the smaller bore can performed much, much better at the muzzle. I’ve also noticed that in my experience cans that are really good at the ear are also frequently good at the muzzle, and even more so on a tuned host. And that makes sense, given that sound intensity degrades at the square of the distance and that the ear is roughy the same distance from the muzzle as the muzzle mic is to the muzzle. This effect is, of course, manipulable via test barrel length.

Truth is, the real reason 7.62 cans usually sound better or same to the shooter in comparison to similar 5.56 cans is that they are significantly longer.

For the OP….depends. Lol.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Dwell time, gassing, barrel, and ammo are a factor too. I've had adjustable gas block set ups that ran perfectly, but the port snap was painful for me, the shooter. I had to dump the set up because if I have to wear ears, there's no point in the ass aches of dirty suppression.

The first time I shot a mini can, I expected it to hurt my ears, but the lower back pressure actually made the shooter's position quite enjoyable. Another small can we shoot is the mini KAC 5.56 can. It's got like 3 baffles. It's fairly quiet at the shooting position, but barky for the other guys spotting for the shooter.

The Dead Air and YHM K type cans with changeable thread adapters are my favorites. I think Pappabear said he wished he had all Dead Air direct threads. They're light and as quiet as the humongous 30 cal cans with twice the baffles.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Well,

What's a good K-type suppressor for my 580+ series 16 in Mini-14?

I don't want long or heavy. Doesn't need to be hearing safe. Needs to have minimal gas face.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Well,

What's a good K-type suppressor for my 580+ series 16 in Mini-14?

I don't want long or heavy. Doesn't need to be hearing safe. Needs to have minimal gas face.
    I dunno shit about Minis, but Rex Silentium MG7k .358” and up works well on AKs and are short and light.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The YHM Turbo K is on my want list. Fairly cheap. I think Clint here from Black River Tactical has said good things about them. I've grown to hate suppressors on gas guns, but the YHM can has me willing to give it another go.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    The YHM Turbo K is on my want list. Fairly cheap. I think Clint here from Black River Tactical has said good things about them. I've grown to hate suppressors on gas guns, but the YHM can has me willing to give it another go.
    Don't get your expectations too high. It's still gassy, though not bad at all for a baffled can, as it only has 2 baffles. And this can be significantly improved by using one of Clint's gas tubes. YHM is releasing a new version now that it supposed to be even less gassy.

“You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Dwell time, gassing, barrel, and ammo are a factor too. I've had adjustable gas block set ups that ran perfectly, but the port snap was painful for me, the shooter. I had to dump the set up because if I have to wear ears, there's no point in the ass aches of dirty suppression.
    I thought no supersonic 5.56 suppressors were ear-safe for sustained use like training. Am I wrong, behind-the-times, or just care more about my hearing than you?
    "We must all hang together, or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Its a great can, but I’m not sure that you’ll like it. Choke down the gas and thread that bitch on.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast