Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tennessee legislature expels members over gun control protest

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Tennessee legislature expels members over gun control protest

Interesting development. I'm not sure I'm in support because I actually support a healthy and rowdy 1st amendment as long it does no harm to people or property, but interesting none the less.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/tenn...ry?id=98402653

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I see this was covered in the Nashville shooting thread. Mods, delete if necessary.

Feedback Score
    Please at least change the title. It is incorrect. They are not out because of gun control protest, they insurrected the normal proceedings of the TN House. They broke the rules and paid the price. They were effectively impeached.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    Please at least change the title. It is incorrect. They are not out because of gun control protest, they insurrected the normal proceedings of the TN House. They broke the rules and paid the price. They were effectively impeached.
    Not an option I am aware of.

Feedback Score
    Yeah I think the bigger part which is not playing well locally is the fact that they expelled Reps. Justin Jones and Justin Pearson, who are both Black. The vote to expel their colleague, Rep. Gloria Johnson, who is white, failed.

I’m just saying locally this is what’s being ran with and on the heals of some really stupid things said publicly by some old school white republicans recently the media isn’t having much trouble turning this into a race issue.

Lawmaker expulsions have been extremely rare in Tennessee since the Civil War.

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/ne...-war-heres-why
    Last edited by tn1911; 04-07-23 at 16:56.
    Religion is doing what you are told no matter what is right. Morality is doing what is right no matter what you are told...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tn1911 View Post
    Yeah I think the bigger part which is not playing well locally is the fact that they expelled Reps. Justin Jones and Justin Pearson, who are both Black. The vote to expel their colleague, Rep. Gloria Johnson, who is white, failed.

I’m just saying locally this is what’s being ran with and on the heals of some really stupid things said publicly by some old school white republicans recently the media isn’t having much trouble turning this into a race issue.
    What is the process for replacing the ousted legislators? I'm a little sensitive to this whole thing since the state legislator that represents me was nearly removed for being a member of the Oath Keepers 12 years ago, by "Republicans" no less. I do have an issue with removing a legislator that was elected by a district for a simple rules violation, regardless of their party affiliation and my disagreement with their stance. This was no more of an insurrection (as mentioned in another post) than Jan 6th.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I believe the three of them took the podium , wouldn't sit down and one pulled out a megaphone and started chanting along with the Protestors.
    I don't think that's parliamentary procedure.
    Now consider if you will

If I took the stage by force and demanded that Black folks not get to vote?
    Same Constitution.

Feedback Score
    Democrats and their accomplices in the media crying republicans are racists? Gee whizz... there's a surprise.

One of the expelled is crying about democracy. Well... I voted for my representative. My representative along with a two-thirds majority of other representatives voted to oust his sorry ass. That's representative democracy in action.
    Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 04-07-23 at 15:54.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    What is the process for replacing the ousted legislators?
    In a nutshell, they can and most likely will be right back, either next week or within 4 weeks (some obscure time thing). It sure as hell ain't permanent.

For the record, that white fat-ass bitch should've been tossed right along with 'fro-man and the wannabe MLK.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    What is the process for replacing the ousted legislators? I'm a little sensitive to this whole thing since the state legislator that represents me was nearly removed for being a member of the Oath Keepers 12 years ago, by "Republicans" no less. I do have an issue with removing a legislator that was elected by a district for a simple rules violation, regardless of their party affiliation and my disagreement with their stance. This was no more of an insurrection (as mentioned in another post) than Jan 6th.
    It goes to council members handling the respective districts to pick an interim representative until a special election is held. Council members can choose whomever they want, including the ousted representative. The ousted representative can also choose to run in the special election if they wish.

This is how one is playing out as reported: Twenty-three members of the 40-seat Nashville Metropolitan Council confirmed to NBC News or on social media that they plan to vote to reinstate Jones to the Legislature.

So... we'll see. IMO, the important thing is that our boys in Nashville took action and were simply not going to put up with street thug nonsense on the floor. I would expect Jones to be awarded another expulsion if he returns with similar behavior.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast