Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gas block pinning jig

Feedback Score

Gas block pinning jig

What’re do I fine a universal one and buy extra pins??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    A V-block or vice jaw on the gas tube side is all you need. The bottom of gas blocks are flat so it’s easy to get square.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    A V-block or vice jaw on the gas tube side is all you need. The bottom of gas blocks are flat so it’s easy to get square.
    You dont pin the bottom. You pin the side. It really seems you are thinking of dimpling, something very, very different. The brd link above is the answer.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The flat on the bottom of the gas block sits flat on one vice jaw, aligning the gas block squarely on it’s side. The V-block holds the rounded top of the gas block on the other side.

What I’m saying is that you don’t need a dedicated jig to hold the gas block. Anyone with a machinists vice or smooth jawed vice for a drill press and a V-block should be able to hold a gas block securely to pin it.

If you are looking for some kind of drill guide jig for doing a hack job with a hand drill, I can’t help you there.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by John mckimb View Post
    You dont pin the bottom. You pin the side. It really seems you are thinking of dimpling, something very, very different. The brd link above is the answer.
    You have no idea who you are talking to.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    You have no idea who you are talking to.
    Or, its the fact he wasnt clear.. but im new so i must be wrong🤣

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    The flat on the bottom of the gas block sits flat on one vice jaw, aligning the gas block squarely on it’s side. The V-block holds the rounded top of the gas block on the other side.

What I’m saying is that you don’t need a dedicated jig to hold the gas block. Anyone with a machinists vice or smooth jawed vice for a drill press and a V-block should be able to hold a gas block securely to pin it.

If you are looking for some kind of drill guide jig for doing a hack job with a hand drill, I can’t help you there.
    Not doing it with a mill is hack to start with, so dunno what you think youre insinuating.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    A drill press with a halfway decent vice that is clamped down is capable of doing production gas block pinning. I’ll agree it is easier to set up with a mini X/Y table or on a full manual mill.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    The other piece of the puzzle is a jig can be helpful when the block isn't designed specifically for pinning.

Pinning a gas block with a pinning friendly feature such as our MicroPin Gas Block is quite easy using the method Todd describes.

Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast