Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: M1 Garand Finish Question

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by m4brian View Post
    - if someone would redo this, they could make some dollars.
    You can get that color with the grey park by covering it with cosmoline and then wiping it down. My friend had a receiver that was a GI pot war repark and a grey to dark grey in color. He covered it with a lite coat of cosmoline for storage and a couple of months later when he pulled it out of the safe and wiped it down, it had that green park color.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WRAM1 View Post
    Check the CMP Forum and they can probably provide you with the arsenal and time period the rifle was refinished as there are a few that had a silver like repark during the post war rebuild process.
    Yep, I think this is the right answer. It has been rebuilt at some point in its life for sure, barrel is dated '51. Stock has no stamps besides the circled P, and receiver is unmarked, so where it was rebuilt is a mystery.

The real mystery is why I bought a service grade Garand with such a rough stock In all seriousness, I picked it at the South Store and wanted a WWII s/n, GI wood, and a nice barrel. Most of the Garands that day had 1960s dated barrels.

Andy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12