Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: 62gr M855 or 55gr M193: Must choose ONE or THE OTHER for 16" bbl 1:7 twist

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jstone View Post
    I used to install auto glass, and I have never seen a single laminate window outside of a windshield. it is done for safety of the occupants. side windows use tempered glass, not laminated. if there were laminated glass on the side doors and windows nobody would be able to escape a car that happens to go into a river or lake. if you were involved in a low speed car accident and you were t boned the laminate glass would possibly kill you. i haven't done glass for a few years but I can pretty much guarantee there are no laminated windows outside of the windshield.

just looked up the new law making this happen. absolutely retarded and makes sense why I never saw it, the law was implemented in 2020. this stupid law will cost more lives than it saves. if your an emergency service worker Default what do you use to get people out of vehicles without maiming them.
    It's been a thing for awhile now, but was mostly restricted to more in the luxury market, and then the ramp up to deal with the new DoT mandate.

I used to be in very large suburban-area VFD, which is how I learned about this issue to begin with, and our approach was basically to use the same method as if we had to breach a windshield, which is basically to use the Sawzall, though we obviously also had the combitool to just straight up pop the door if need be. Whether or not that was going to be viable if dealing with a vehicle fire or whatever, I dunno. We didn't get fires very often combined with a crash, though this is obviously something that does happen, and is the worst-case scenario when paired with laminated windows. I left the VFD before this mandate went into effect (just other life events that took me away, I loved being in the department), but it was definitely something that we had discussed and theorycrafted, given that we were an urban department that covered a fair number of freeways and highways.
    Last edited by Defaultmp3; 05-22-23 at 21:35.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I used to install auto glass, and I have never seen a single laminate window outside of a windshield. it is done for safety of the occupants. side windows use tempered glass, not laminated. if there were laminated glass on the side doors and windows nobody would be able to escape a car that happens to go into a river or lake. if you were involved in a low speed car accident and you were t boned the laminate glass would possibly kill you. i haven't done glass for a few years but I can pretty much guarantee there are no laminated windows outside of the windshield.

just looked up the new law making this happen. absolutely retarded and makes sense why I never saw it, the law was implemented in 2020. this stupid law will cost more lives than it saves. if your an emergency service worker Default what do you use to get people out of vehicles without maiming them.
    thanks for the information anyone who has ever messed with laminated auto glass knows how dangerous it can be. I can't beleive they are starting to use it in side windows. even after you put a whole large enough to extricate a person the chances of severe lacerations is extremely high. I appreciate the insight, I just cant beleive the reasoning behind why they implemented this.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    thanks for the information anyone who has ever messed with laminated auto glass knows how dangerous it can be. I can't beleive they are starting to use it in side windows. even after you put a whole large enough to extricate a person the chances of severe lacerations is extremely high. I appreciate the insight, I just cant beleive the reasoning behind why they implemented this.
    most european cars dont use american law for windshields, thats mostly why we never got a lot of cars they had because they didnt want to redesign the entire front of the car to make a us law piece of glass fit.

tbh I have no idea why we have that stupid law anyway.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidneyious View Post
    most european cars dont use american law for windshields, thats mostly why we never got a lot of cars they had because they didnt want to redesign the entire front of the car to make a us law piece of glass fit.

tbh I have no idea why we have that stupid law anyway.
    Requiring a laminated windshield or side windows? Laminated windshields make sense, side windows make less sense to me. I personally suspect the insurance companies pushed the side windows for theft deterrence but sold the idea as reducing ejection and rollover protection.

Andy

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Requiring a laminated windshield or side windows? Laminated windshields make sense, side windows make less sense to me. I personally suspect the insurance companies pushed the side windows for theft deterrence but sold the idea as reducing ejection and rollover protection.

Andy
    Ive had 3 friends die from ejection with a seat belt.

Its all bullshit, and even more when 3 different friends die because the seat belt is why they couldn't get out of the burning wreck and died a slow agonizing death in a burning car.

Your just asking to die every time you get in your car yet here we are.

Also **** insurance companies that never pay out, it's the largest racket ever.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidneyious View Post

Also **** insurance companies that never pay out, it's the largest racket ever.

Truest words outside of the bible.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    If you read those old DARPA reports from Vietnam, the most lethal terminal effects were achieved with a 55 grain projectile in a 1:12 (or was it 1:14?) twist barrel. This with the old Model 601's.
    Last edited by Slater; 05-24-23 at 20:44.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I got my first AR-15 back in 1999. I used 55 gr FMJ since it was easy to get at wallyworld. I still use M193/55 gr FMJ to shoot/practice/stock up on, but I also have 1,000 rounds of 62 gr/64 gr Gold Dot/Fusion stored.
    Last edited by LOBO; 05-28-23 at 23:36.

Feedback Score
    M193 leaves a hell of a wound channel. Google it
    I tried to follow the science but it simply was not there. I then followed the money, thats where i found the science.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    If you read those old DARPA reports from Vietnam, the most lethal terminal effects were achieved with a 55 grain projectile in a 1:12 (or was it 1:14?) twist barrel. This with the old Model 601's.
    For a very short time they were 1:14, but shifted to 1:12 for better stability in overall conditions. The 1:14 did NOT create additional damage unlike all too many internet rumors. 55 grain works as intended, but off the battlefield we encounter things like windshields, shorter barrels and all around MOUT conditions.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast