Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast

Thread: 62gr M855 or 55gr M193: Must choose ONE or THE OTHER for 16" bbl 1:7 twist

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    No. As a general rule the 5.56/.223 77 TMK will upset sooner, penetrate shallower, and be defeated easier than it's SMK counterpart. The TMK does have a higher BC and gives you a slight edge at distance.

Credit: BHA Website

Attachment 70514

Attachment 70515
    That's a 20" barrel compared to a 14.5" barrel...how is that apples to apples?

My experience shooting white tails and hogs with 69gr SMKs and 77gr TMKs (also not apples to apples, but out of the same rifle) shows immensely better terminal performance with the TMK.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post

My experience shooting white tails and hogs with 69gr SMKs and 77gr TMKs (also not apples to apples, but out of the same rifle) shows immensely better terminal performance with the TMK.
    Certainly not apples to apples, but wouldn't the faster bullet from the longer barrel typically open up sooner? I think this shows even more dramatically how much earlier a TMK will open up compared to an SMK, no?
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    TMKs are superior to the SMK.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Not intended as apples to apples but to show the general difference overall (neck, upset, etc), the trend is the same. I couldn't find the comparison photos I was looking for at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by eurodriver
    Quote Originally Posted by davidjinks View Post
    TMKs are superior to the SMK.
    What does "superior" mean here. In what way?
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Superior probably wasn’t the best word to use. TMKs are better than SMKs in regards to BC and the ability to fragment better. TMKs have a shorter neck length when comparing both SMK and TMK.

BC for 77 Gr TMK: .420
    BC for 77 Gr SMK: .372

BC for 69 Gr TMK: .375
    BC for 69 Gr SMK: .301

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    What does "superior" mean here. In what way?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    Certainly not apples to apples, but wouldn't the faster bullet from the longer barrel typically open up sooner? I think this shows even more dramatically how much earlier a TMK will open up compared to an SMK, no?
    Strictly depends on the design of the bullet and it's intended velocity range/envelope to perform as intended within that range.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    This thread took a weird turn.
    But a lot of good info....

Feedback Score
    Is it 1/7 that groups better with green tip? It's a no brainer ipso facto

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Through .mil testing, it was shown that a 1:9 twist barrel was the most accurate barrel for M193 and M855.

The only thing that screws with the M855 is the steel insert at the tip. They’re not always concentric/straight when they’re made.

Quote Originally Posted by 33XRAY View Post
    Is it 1/7 that groups better with green tip? It's a no brainer ipso facto

Feedback Score
    Through .mil testing, it was shown that a 1:9 twist barrel was the most accurate barrel for M193 and M855.

The only thing that screws with the M855 is the steel insert at the tip. They’re not always concentric/straight when they’re made.
    Source?

I know of no report where M855 was ever tested in 1-9 twist by the Army.

EDIT:

The only report I know of that even mentions M855 and 1-9 twist rifling is "Analysis of the M16A2 Rifle Characteristics and Recommended Improvements," by the Army Research Institute. The report does not actually test anything, but speculates on all the ways the M16A2 could have been better (for the Army). The claim that 1-9 twist, is just that, and unsupported claim by the authors of that report. And further, the report states that the claim would have to be tested to validate it.

I can find nothing in any report about M193 and 1-9 twist done by the military. All the formal 1-9 twist testing was done with XM287 and XM288 ammunition in the XM207E2.

The 1-9 twist rifling was never considered for M855 weapons because the M856 tracer required a faster twist, and therefore never tested.
    Last edited by lysander; 07-03-23 at 13:54.

Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast