Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: 62gr M855 or 55gr M193: Must choose ONE or THE OTHER for 16" bbl 1:7 twist

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    If you have to shoot through barriers use the right gun. Chances are it's not a 5.56.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SearchMe View Post

I want the long-range stability of the 62gr
    You said that you'll only be shooting out to 300 yards. Do you think that M193 magically becomes unstable at 299 yards?

All that is necessary for trolls to flourish, is for good men to do nothing.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SearchMe View Post
    Great article.
    “M855A1 . . good for varminting and practice.”

“Check out the trajectory characteristics of the M193 and M855 bullets. There are no variations in bullet weights or other factors because the major factor of differentiation between these cartridges is their bullet weight.”

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Reads like a Biden speech.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Reads like a Biden speech.
    LOL.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

62gr M855 or 55gr M193: Must choose ONE or THE OTHER for 16" bbl 1:7 twist

If you are just starting on the AR platform, get any of the two to get you running and also for training. If SHTF happens, you can be ready.
    Then little by little, box by box, buy some of the other options mentioned on this thread.
    Last edited by 202; 04-14-23 at 18:23.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    If this is ammo to be stashed for SHTF, why not buy 500 rounds of ball and put the money you would spend on the second half towards quality bonded soft point or OTM? If you are buying to shoot plus keep some on hand for SHTF, my money would go towards decent M193 ball unless I found M855 at a better price.

It's unlikely many of us would survive long enough to run through more than a few hundred rounds if society collapsed to the point we have running gun battles in the streets.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 04-15-23 at 07:36.

Feedback Score
    Lake City or IMI 193. Neither are ever a bad choice IMO.

Feedback Score
    I keep a few thousand rounds on hand. Incase I want to take a class, end of the world or just a heavy range day. Without over thinking it, I went with 193. It’s cheaper, easier on steel targets and slightly more accurate (not that that makes much difference).
    To paraphrase something somebody else said, lethality starts with making good hits.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    M193 is my stockpile load, though I have a lot of IMI 77 grain and a couple guns set up for that load. For me there is no real advantage to Green Tip. I can shoot M193 at the range with less headache, it performs well out of M4 and longer guns, and is ok in shorties up close. I personally believe it has better terminal performance as well.

For me, I’m less concerned about armor penetration because I am willing to bet if I have to fight someone advanced enough to have plates they’ll probably have LvL4 armor, at which point I better shoot them in the face or in the pelvis. But for the majority of my uses I care more about being able to train effectively, M193 is economical to shoot and fully capable of going to 500 yards.
    OEF / OIR / OFS

Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast