Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Analysis: Big Tech conducts mass layoffs while importing 34,000 foreign H1b workers

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Post Analysis: Big Tech conducts mass layoffs while importing 34,000 foreign H1b workers

"The analysis, conducted by researchers at the Economic Policy Institute (EPI), found that the top 30 tech corporations — which routinely import foreign workers through the H-1B visa program — have laid off or are planning to lay off nearly 85,000 employees in the U.S. in 2022 and the first quarter of 2023.

At the same time, those same 30 tech corporations imported 34,414 foreign H-1B visa workers to take white-collar jobs in STEM fields. Thirteen of these 30 corporations are outsourcing firms that contract directly with Big Tech companies to funnel foreign workers into jobs."

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...american-jobs/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Call me crazy, but what if one side effect/feature of dumbing down colleges, was to prepare the populace for inferior education. Thus allowing for the importation of foreign workers to perform more white collar jobs at lower quality but reduced salaries. Then we wonder why wages are low and the entire tech sector is filled with indians.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Yeah, there are a ton of stupid, lazy, US workers that want to be paid mid six-figures to "work" from home on everything by their job.

I worked for quite a while for one of the tech ultra-corps. We had an entry-level EE position we were interviewing for so we screened a bunch of new grads. It was shocking. They all were wanting fabulous salary and benefits, but none of them could answer even basic EE-concept questions. They paid for 4-ish years of college and didn't learn shit. I take that back...They were well versed on D&I, so I guess they did learn shit.

So why hire low-quality bullshit when you can get an H1B that'll actually work and you can pay 1/3 as much? There's a decent chance that H1B guy will have better English communication skills and won't try to actively sabotage your business as well.

It's ****ing capitalism at work.
    Last edited by kerplode; 04-12-23 at 10:46.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You think H1Bs are bad… look into TNs.

I work for CBP… had a guy applying for a TN say he was a dentist. Then it turned into he was going to run a dental office. So I show him the list of jobs that fall under a TN and say that nothing listed would allow him to run the dental office in the US.

While I was making copies of his stuff because I could tell it was complete BS… he calls me over and points out the job listed as “management consultant,” saying that’s what he is doing. I look him straight in the eye and say, “you told me you are running a dental office, what consulting are you going to be doing for them?” All shocked, I tell him if he wants to play this game, I’ll formally refuse him entry due to trying to lie to me to gain a TN visa that he doesn’t qualify for.

What does this guy do 2.5 weeks later? Flies in with the same stuff, just different dental offices (I laughed when I heard about it)… and applied for it again. Denied again.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
    Yeah, there are a ton of stupid, lazy, US workers that want to be paid mid six-figures to "work" from home on everything by their job.
    AMEN!!!

So why hire low-quality bullshit when you can get an H1B that'll actually work and you can pay 1/3 as much? There's a decent chance that H1B guy will have better English communication skills and won't try to actively sabotage your business as well.
    So damned true!! There are a lot of worthless pieces of shit who want the world, but really just dick around on TikTard and shit. We have a serious problem with worthless mother fukkers in this country.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Kerplode,

When you said EE, is that Electrical Engineering?

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Yeah, Electrical Engineering.

We'd ask these kids something like "You're designing a system that will be powered by a 3.6V battery, but the ICs require 1.8V VDD...What do you need to include in the design?" Voltage regulator, obviously, but just got a lot of "ummm" and blank stares. You'd eventually lead them to voltage regulator then ask them to describe the trade-offs between linear and buck designs in that application (i.e., cost, complexity, part count, noise vs power overhead, heat, etc)...Again, "ummm" and blank stares. These kids had all kinds of drone/ robotics projects and whatever on their resumes, but it became pretty clear that they had no background in basic stuff...They were just bolting shit to Arduino boards and writing some code. We ended up converting the position to Senior level and hiring internally.

Anyway, I did that for 20 years, but got burned out and "retired" to a simpler life.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Ah. I'm going to send you a PM.

Feedback Score
    I ain't saying I'm the perfect example, but with the work ethic of a lot of Americans these days I can't blame the companies. I see a lot of folks who don't care to learn, won't accept difficult challenges, won't accept responsibilities, and want "extra flexibility".

I swear some of these folks could be on duty in the middle of a nuclear meltdown and will wanna take some flex time to go have a latte with a friend.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Hell ... remember what most of the air traffic controllers (government employees) did on 9/11? it was confirmed by them ... they all left the room when the planes were crashing into buildings. No one wanted to make the decision whether to shut down the air space or do anything. Some of the low level types were looking around for directions from the supervisors but they were gone.

And they went on strikes and demanded higher pays?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast