Thread: Cutting and threading a barrel question

Feedback Score

Cutting and threading a barrel question

When a gunsmith cuts and rethreads a barrel do they need to remove the barrel from the upper receiver?

The reason I ask is I have an opportunity to purchase a Sig P90/550 with a 20"barrel but the muzzle device isn't removable.
    Being a piston gun, it would be a shame to not be able run a suppressor on it.

So I'm thinking of having it cut to 16" and retreaded.
    I don't think the barrel is easy to remove from the upper receiver if the process is to remove it during the process.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I’d imagine if a lathe is involved you would have to remove the barrel from upper receiver.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    I’d imagine if a lathe is involved you would have to remove the barrel from upper receiver.
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking would be the best way to evenly cut and thread.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It’s possible to thread a barreled receiver with the right machine, but far more difficult than just a barrel. I know it’s just a fancy AK but you probably should find someone who knows if that gas port needs to be opened up as well,

Your assumption that piston is automatically better for suppressed use is incorrect. Most of gas that flows back is actually through the chamber. So the timing with additional gas from the suppressor and how/if the system vents additional gas is more important.

For example the 10” 416 is probably the worst semi I have ever shot suppressed. It has a non vented piston system.

Feedback Score
    The muzzle device isnt a problem, you can just hack that off and clean it up after. As for removing and reinstalling the barrel, it looks like a PITA, so id go to someine experienced and discuss with them.

Also, this should go in the "other semi-auto" forum, you may get better amswers.