I'm one of those guys that just likes to try different stuff. I bought a SA Prodigy recently and it only comes with one optics mounting plate for the Docter footprint. The only red dots I currently own are for the RMR footprint. Yes, I could have bought a plate for the RMR cut but it's much more fun to buy a new sight and test it. I wanted to test something that fell more into the budget category so I settled on a Viridian RFX 25....3 MOA green dot. Aluminum construction, 30,000 hours of run time, shake awake, auto off and CR2032 cheap and common batteries. I couldn't find shit for reviews so I decided to write up my experience.

I wanted to get straight to durability testing.....it comes with a picatinny mount so I was able to attach it to my Ruger Super Redhawk in 454 Casull and try it out. Even using shooting gloves and a rest I was done after 50 rounds. No movement on the POI and no damage to the sight itself. I wanted to keep shooting (just not the 454) so I mounted it on my M&P 2.0 10mm and shot another 100 rounds or so. That's a pretty snappy pistol. No issues. The Viridian has a waterproof rating of IPX6. So using a trick from another reviewer I stuck it in my shower for a couple of days. No issues.

The sight itself is very clear, the dot has 10 brightness settings and is super visible in bright sunlight on the medium settings. No halo effect or starburst. $193 from Amazon. I don't have any plans to mount this on my primary home defense weapon or EDC, but I think for competition this little dude will be great on the Prodigy.

I just started tinkering with red dots a few years ago. And I do believe the RMR is the gold standard. I have two and love them. I've also got a couple of Holosuns that I like but not as well as the RMR. And dropping $500 minimum on each pistol that I want to upgrade is going to get pricey. Especially if I'm already having the slide milled. If this Viridian continues to perform I will definitely consider it a victory for those that don't have the cash for multiple RMRs on every pistol.

You guys stay safe

Heavyweight

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk