Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which to purchase? LMT MWS Defender or DD5 V3

Feedback Score

Which to purchase? LMT MWS Defender or DD5 V3

Morning all,

Have the chance to purchase either the LMT MWS Defender or DD5 V3, both in .308, both new guns. I can get the DD5 for several hundred cheaper. I already have 308 guns, but looking for another 308 AR variant that will be reliable and will produce 1 MOA groups at 100yds with either match factory ammo or handloads. Gun will be used for fun, shooting out to 500yds.

Of the two which would be the best bet for 2023? I will be upgrading the triggers/stocks also.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    As an owner of an LMT MARS-H, I'd really recommend evaluating your uses before picking one or the other. The DD has an adjustable gas block (set and forget, not switchable), novel ambi controls and is generally more usable with lighter overall weight. The LMT buys you the monolithic upper and heavy barrel with over-gassed reliability. I think both will do what you want as far as accuracy is concerned.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    I’d go with the LMT. Combat proven, and the monolithic upper makes for easy barrel changes.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I would go for DD.
    Had problems with two LMT monolithic uppers and they would do nothing at all about it, and had problems with one DD upper and they bent over backwards to take care of me.
    Last edited by BillBond; 04-17-23 at 19:43.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BillBond View Post
    I would go for DD.
    Had problems with two LMT monolithic uppers and they would do nothing at all about it, and had problems with one DD upper and they bent over backwards to take care of me.
    What issues did you have with the 2 LMT uppers? And were they bought as uppers or as a complete rifle?

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    The DD5 is a shooter. It’s also lighter weight.
    The barrel modularity with the LMT is a plus, but it’s a much heavier platform. But, with the weight, comes less recoil from the bench.

Hard call……I believe I would go with the DD

Feedback Score
    I chose the DD5V3 over the LMT for several reasons:

1. Daniel Defense has great customer service whereas LMT is hit or miss.

2. The DD5V3 is lighter, more nimble, than the 16” MWS, and I don’t need the ability to quick change barrels.

3. The DD5V3 has an adjustable gas block making shooting suppressed easy. It loves the Surefire 762K SOCOM i bought for it. For the LMT, you have to buy a modified gas tube for it or an adjustable gas block conversion unless you run an OSS can: https://www.dwilsonmfg.com/LMT-Adjus...ion_p_140.html

4. CHF chrome lined barrel!!! Need I say more

Thus far, I am happy with my purchase after 250 rounds or so. Now I need more trigger time and a dedicated optic……and a week to take a course with it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I too went through all these , wash, rinse, repeat, finally just bought a SCAR 17.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lowprone View Post
    I too went through all these , wash, rinse, repeat, finally just bought a SCAR 17.
    Ha! I own one as well and wouldn’t sell it ever! Only issue is the lack of a shoulder on the barrel for suppressed use. Never has failed me and is stupid easy to maintain.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    A basic bitch ADM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast