Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help me GAIN weight!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Edit - just watched the video... good stuff, I'm basically trying to get to the 20% surplus. [/edit]

Its not that I dont want them... I dont like them, especially grains. If I eat more than a cup 3 days in a row, I just cant eat any more. Like I'll gag trying to eat it, and it's not the flavor, it sits wrong in my gut or something.
    I can try to incorporate more potatoes.

My normal diet not tracking anything will have a few days of nothing but meat and vegetables mixed in.
    Just get your carbs from fruit.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkslinger View Post
    Perfect choice, if your strategy accepts sugars.

I **** up some mangoes like its my job.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkslinger View Post
    Ok, I'll try it out

Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post

Yea, mangoes are the best. I'll also smash a ripe pineapple in 1 sitting if the mood's right, haha.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 04-18-23 at 17:21.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidneyious View Post
    Eat a big breakfast, a medium lunch and an alright early dinner.

It's how I'm losing weight, issue is this 20 year old bear gut I've accrued that's hard to go away.

I have monster thighs, glorious caves, and lately this monster pain in my right thigh like I've been wearing a tourniquet.
    Hey Sid, do you have any back problems? When I had a disc issue, I had pain in my front quad out of this world. Just a thought. Also, I think he is trying to gain weight, maybe I misunderstood responses.

Mega, when I was younger trying to gain weight, I freaked out if I let myself get hungry. It is taxing and expensive trying to gain quality weight, good luck.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 04-18-23 at 18:03.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post

If you like bananas, I think they have the best carb to sugar ratio.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Why are fats the majority of your calories? I'm getting 1.25g protein/lb body wt. Should I get more? I dont like carbs and avoid sugars, that leaves fat.

Twice? Whats a good ratio? I got advice to add beans which should help, as will more nuts. My sugars come from peppers and bananas.

I don't know what baseline is, but I wont put on weight if I don't increase calories
    "174lb up from 168 (took 4 months) ... and I'm stuck at this weight. Ive been struggling to break 2500-2800."

If your weight is holding at 174 and you are eating about 2650 kcal let's call that your baseline. A macro calculator gives a similar result of 2,665 so I don't doubt it. If you are realistic about how much lean muscle mass you can gain you are probably best served by "gain of 0.5 pound per week" of the options on that macro calculator, which yields 2,915 as your target. If you are lifting like you never have before the "gain of 1 pound per week" option yields 3,165 target. More is just building fat as I figure.

This says you are already eating more than enough protein.

Fiber regulates blood sugar (reduces spikes), improves insulin sensitivity, and is beneficial for cardiovascular health. I don't know that I've seen a clinically supported sugar:fiber ratio but 3:1 just seems high to me.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6586511/
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9253671/
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...66149722000263

Unless you are on a ketogenic diet I think you need to find carbohydrate sources you can tolerate. Beans, lentils, peas (fresh or dried), sweet potato and winter squash are some I eat regularly.
    Last edited by Disciple; 04-18-23 at 23:05.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Stop with the science and counting macros. Eat like a man. Train like a man. You’ll add mass and strength and gain weight.

I was in the same place in 2018. I was 32 and weighed right around 170. Had the macro counting apps and training books. Friend tried to get me into CrossFit but that sucked. I was ripped but couldn’t put on mass and wasn’t strong. I started following more of a power lifting eating and training regiment and went from 170-172 to 193lbs and the strongest in my gym over the summer. Added a little fat but it was mostly muscle and I looked pretty dang good considering I wasn’t concerned with vanity just functional strength and weight gain.
    Last edited by Rifleman_04; 04-21-23 at 14:17. Reason: Checked logbook corrected weights.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Hey Sid, do you have any back problems? When I had a disc issue, I had pain in my front quad out of this world. Just a thought. Also, I think he is trying to gain weight, maybe I misunderstood responses.

Mega, when I was younger trying to gain weight, I freaked out if I let myself get hungry. It is taxing and expensive trying to gain quality weight, good luck.

PB
    Yes
    -
    It's all in how the body is moving everything, the body doesn't want to work very well at the end of the day.

That's why they say that breakfast is the most important meal of the day.

Your going to spend that day burning that energy, people try to say that your body burns better at night but that's just bs.

You sleep better when the body isn't working it's ass off trying to burn food.

Height, weight, what you can lift can only go so far naturally.

Don't forget metabolism also plays a part in this. If that's out of wack you can really go nowhere.

I'm not a health expert but I am a cook with a ****ed up metabolism and I try to eat a big meal myself every morning.

Carbs like bread are almost non existent for me and oddly enough alcohol carbs didn't change my weight.

One of the guys in the plant for the last month has been eating oatmeal for breakfast and a salad for lunch and he's not losing any weight at all and he's one of them go for the K's runners.

Like dude you are getting zero proteins and your body will usually burn muscle before fats.

In my experience anyway, take it when you will. Everyone is different, my brother can eat all day, years on end and stay 185.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    How is it going?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    How is it going?
    I tried a few different grains, and couldnt break 2200 about 2 days ago... and I felt like garbage the next day, so im scraching that. I also verified wheat is 100% out.

Beans alone in coconut milk curry seems to be okay, and corn tortillas, and maybe potatoes.

I also bought some fruit. Also might drink more milk. I had to take a couple days off the gym to fix some muscle issues, but im getting back tomorrow. Im increasing weights for chest, legs, and arms this week, so if I can maintain close to my goal, it should be productive.

Ill update in a few days with diet progress, Ill be meal prepping suday for the work week so it will be the same diet for a few days in a row.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 04-28-23 at 18:42.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast