Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Federal ND55664 overruns

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha-17 View Post
    Not sure what the original provenance of the bullets are, but just comparing the two cutaway pictures of TBBC, there's a notable difference. The first sets of pictures show multiple relief cuts like Barnes bullets have, while the second one doesn't have anything other than the cannilure.

As for Mod 1, you don't have any evidence for problems, can't find anyone making complaints, and are just assuming it is an "abortion" despite the fact that most reports indicate it performs as well if not better than Mod 0? OK. Good to know.
    I agree with you. Some people are hard headed and prideful. The SOST Mod 1 has a better BC as well as being non lead. Him saying it’s an abortion with no actual experience says it all. He doesn’t know what he is talking about. A bonded bullet non boatail that is made to hold together is completely different then an OTM boatail bullet that is made to frag. I’ve seen the gel tests and actually used the SOST in Iraq. God could come down and tell the guy and he would call God himself wrong.
    Hunter of Gunmen 8541

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by indianalex01 View Post
    I agree with you. Some people are hard headed and prideful. The SOST Mod 1 has a better BC as well as being non lead. Him saying it’s an abortion with no actual experience says it all. He doesn’t know what he is talking about. A bonded bullet non boatail that is made to hold together is completely different then an OTM boatail bullet that is made to frag. I’ve seen the gel tests and actually used the SOST in Iraq. God could come down and tell the guy and he would call God himself wrong.
    Sorry but when someone claims someone else is "passing disinformation" yet provides no other evidence other than what is basically "trust me bro, I worked at Federal once" then exclaims their opinion is somehow more valid because of that; you'll have to understand why someone would be skeptical. Or just admit we are all just speculating here based on what little information we have, atleast when I post my opinion on something Im not using the appeal to authority fallacy to somehow make my arguments seem more valid over someone elses. Im just some random ammo nerd on the internet speculating on inconsequential historical minutia. But hey if you want to go down the route of "I used ___ in Iraq and it worked fine" as the basis of your argument then go right ahead. Its not like we've heard the justification of guys jamming their HD mags full of 'green tip' because it 'stacked bodies' in Iraq over the years more times than I can count or anything.

Really strange that Im the prideful one when the whole point of this thread was me speculating on what this ammo was and you telling me that Im wrong and spreading disinformation. Isnt that just the pot calling the kettle black? Maybe look in the mirror when you try to pass your own opinions as fact. I go through the effort to make things abundantly clear when its my opinion or speculation so its confuses me when someone says Im spreading disinformation. Well my retort to that accusation is: PROVE IT. Which so far you havent, an appeal to your own authority isnt evidence.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 06-12-24 at 06:36.
    Forward Ascertainment Group

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha-17 View Post
    As for Mod 1, you don't have any evidence for problems, can't find anyone making complaints, and are just assuming it is an "abortion" despite the fact that most reports indicate it performs as well if not better than Mod 0? OK. Good to know.
    Thats what I just said...

Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    My problem with the Mod 1 is that it seems its impetus for development seems to be based on making a more environmentally friendly green bullet when by all accounts Mod 0 was a fantastic performer. Id rather not pay an extra "carbon tax" for a lead free bullet with a nickle plating with questionable effects on my barrel, which no one seems to have any data on.
    Just because there arent any reports about it online doesnt mean there isnt a problem because A: Mod 1 hasnt been out that long and B: its being ditched for M855A1, by all means if you are willing to shoot hundreds of rounds of nickel plated bullets down your personal barrel thats all you. Im not going risk it, because I dont know if it causes extra wear or what solvents and clean out nickel. Clearly the nickel plating was not at all meant to improve performance:

This from Sal Fanelli himself who stated: "Since we were worried about confusion with the Mk262, we had to take another look at the color of the tip. Every color was taken except for solid silver so we decided to nickel plate the entire projectile. As we now jokingly say, “All Marines will have silver bullets.” That round hasn’t been fielded yet, and a potential production contract is in the future. I can just see the Marines out there polishing bullets."

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...-318-m855-and/

Lets introduce an unknown variable of nickel plated bullets because we wanted a different color what wasnt taken? OK. Good to know.

I never 'assumed' it was an abortion, thats my personal opinion which I stand by since it seems the lead free aspect is almost always a political decision. Again restating: why am I going to pay extra for a lead free bullet with unknown effects of fouling or wear in my barrels when we already know Mod 0 is a great performer, and exactly how much less drop this "improved BC" on the mod 1 going to net me? Id doubt its significant considering all of the above potential issues.

If you love Mod 1, great I never said don't buy it. Im just stating the reasons why I won't be buying any of this stuff for personal use. On that note Im hoping AAC will start producing their Mod 0 clone soon.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 06-12-24 at 06:22.
    Forward Ascertainment Group

Feedback Score
    Deleted
    Last edited by indianalex01; 06-12-24 at 22:36.
    Hunter of Gunmen 8541

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123