Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Explain to a Non-MIL/GOV person the classified information system and its failures

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    An anomaly? As it stands, yes.

Think of it this way. I no longer do direct patient care so I do not go into patient charts. Even so, because of my job, I can access charts if I had a reason to do so. So I see Mr. Celebrity is at our hospital, I go into his chart and print his history and I attach it to this thread. I don't even have to access his chart, the RN or doc could have just left it open on a work station as I walked by.

The leaker (me) would be fired. If a doc or nurse left it up on a workstation and left that station unsecured, they would be 'punished' too (maybe fired, maybe something else). But if it was me accessing, it would have been just me fired.
    My understanding is that they have closed the Intel Shop in that Wing pending investigation. Smart move, because I have no idea of this kids available access, but someone needs to figure that out pretty quick.
    Being that just dropped some pretty big bombs on our Intel and Justice system, this aint over.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    I’m not MIL, but in medicine you have HIPPA regulations and information security and control and even in business you have sensitive information- trade-secrets, NDAs, and just good old fashioned STFU.

How is it that some nobody in the military has access to such high level discussions and information?
    If this guy had used a cut out to get the info to a reporter, he probably would have never been caught?
    Why is this information even that widely accessible?
    There are some edge case applications (mostly in theatre) where having more unfettered access to information is a good thing - I'd argue I was right on the edge of having access to too much stuff, but there was a couple cases where even an idiot E-4 me serving as a one-man fusion intelligence cell actually put together information that did good things and contributed (some) to bringing more people back in one piece.

If I had any malicious/seditious intent, you'd have heard about it, and in 99.999% of instances that's how it goes, there just aren't enough nines in that equation unfortunately.

Ironically the biggest source of letting idiots with zero need to know information they shouldn't have access to is the DOD addiction to death by powerpoint for everybody in a leadership position, and if that many man-hours have been dumped into some of these INTSUMs, then by god they want to make sure it's disseminated widely so everybody can be aware what a good job everybody is doing... so here we are.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I’m not MIL, but in medicine you have HIPPA regulations and information security and control and even in business you have sensitive information- trade-secrets, NDAs, and just good old fashioned STFU.

How is it that some nobody in the military has access to such high level discussions and information?
    If this guy had used a cut out to get the info to a reporter, he probably would have never been caught?
    There are some edge case applications (mostly in theatre) where having more unfettered access to information is a good thing - I'd argue I was right on the edge of having access to too much stuff, but there was a couple cases where even an idiot E-4 me serving as a one-man fusion intelligence cell actually put together information that did good things and contributed (some) to bringing more people back in one piece.

If I had any malicious/seditious intent, you'd have heard about it, and in 99.999% of instances that's how it goes, there just aren't enough nines in that equation unfortunately.

Ironically the biggest source of letting idiots with zero need to know information they shouldn't have access to is the DOD addiction to death by powerpoint for everybody in a leadership position, and if that many man-hours have been dumped into some of these INTSUMs, then by god they want to make sure it's disseminated widely so everybody can be aware what a good job everybody is doing... so here we are.
    Semper Fi

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Semper Fi

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12