Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Barnes VOR-TX 70 grain TSX

Feedback Score

Barnes VOR-TX 70 grain TSX

Picked up a box of these and heading to the range today to see how my 12.5” Troy likes them. Expecting they’ll be pretty darn good. Was very happy with both my hand loaded 70g TSX and ASYM 70 g TSX out of the short barel, but will be glad to start adding these to the fold if they perform as expected.

Only have one box at the moment so going to be a couple rounds to see POA/POI at 50 yards and then a couple very scientific 2 liter water bottle “tests” at 50 and/or 100 yards before I add more to the stockpile.
    "Why "zombies"? Because calling it 'training to stop a rioting, starving, panicking, desperate mob after a complete governmental financial collapse apocalypse' is just too wordy." or in light of current events: training to stop a rioting, looting, molotov cocktail throwing, skinny jeans wearing, uneducated bunch of lemmings duped by, or working directly for, a marxist organization attempting to tear down America while hiding behind a race-based name

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I’ve noticed that Vortx 70gr is a clone of the semi-famous brown tip. I think you will be happy with them.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Love the 70 grain TSX. I generally see 1 to 1.5 MOA out of them.
    nawai

Feedback Score
    So they seem just fine. A quick six rounds from 50 yards through the 12.5” Troy and Aimpoint T2 put all six in a group small enough to be in the 10 ring. The odd, to me, thing was I had put two, three round groups of Black Hills 50 grain rounds in the 10 ring at the same distance. Without changing anything, shot the VOR-TX rounds and both three round groups were to the right of the BH by a few inches. Been my experience that I’d get some up and down variation, usually lighter, faster rounds printing higher. Most of my experience is with 16” barrels though. Is that odd, to have the different rounds print to the side of each other? Not that there can’t be shooter error of course, but both groups were pretty solid. Can’t seem to get the pics small enough to add them here again though.
    "Why "zombies"? Because calling it 'training to stop a rioting, starving, panicking, desperate mob after a complete governmental financial collapse apocalypse' is just too wordy." or in light of current events: training to stop a rioting, looting, molotov cocktail throwing, skinny jeans wearing, uneducated bunch of lemmings duped by, or working directly for, a marxist organization attempting to tear down America while hiding behind a race-based name

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I’ve noticed that Vortx 70gr is a clone of the semi-famous brown tip. I think you will be happy with them.
    I have a bit of the Silver State Armory 77gr "brown-tip" clone from years ago. IIRC the boxes were marked 5.56mm, not .223. I haven't shot any, so can't vouch for accuracy, velocity, or terminal effects. I also have some of the Hornady 5.56mm 77gr GMX, which *should* be a close second behind the SSA as far as similarity.

As I recall you're a fan of the Fusions. Given your street creds , if you could pick ONE 5.56mm round, be it for GWOT or domestic use, what would it be?
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    While we wait on the SME, my two cents, with zero street cred, is that whatever “brown tip” clone that you are the most accurate with would be a dynamite choice. The 70 grain TSX seems to be one of the best all around performers you could get in 5.56. It’s been proven to be effective on critters two-legged and four, up close and at some considerable distance, from various length barrels, and doesn’t embarrass itself in LE/SHTf/HD instances either. Were I to be so fortunate to live in a non-urban area some day, I would be switching my “mags at the ready” from the current BH 50 grain setup to something with the 70g TSX for sure.

My brother recalls seeing someone with much more experience than I have, stating the opinion that he wouldn't buy Barnes loaded ammo anymore bc after Remington bought them they eventually shifted production to Remington facilities which weren't nearly as good. Said he would get a single box of ammo with multiple different primers and higher SDs which showed a lack of attention to detail.

Looking at the box of them (the VOR-TX) I bought, and another is on the way, they are some of the prettiest rounds I’ve seen. I’m thinking I’ll take another day and see how I shoot them beyond 50 yards. The longest range I have access to is only 200 though.
    Last edited by rocsteady; 04-22-23 at 08:07.

Feedback Score
    Not that it proves anything, but pictures are pictures, Two 3-round "groups" at just 50 yards, Aimpoint T2:

Black Hills 50g:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/UdY5FEEPrSJvQoPa9

Barnes VOR-TX 70 grain:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/cA23vcd989AsppER8
    Last edited by rocsteady; 04-23-23 at 09:23.

Feedback Score
    I’m a big fan of Barnes ammo and bullets.

What velocity are you getting with the 70s out of your 12.5? I never chrono’d the 70s in my SBR but out of my 16” I got 2688fps.

I usually stick with the 62gr loaded by Barnes or Black Hills for my 10.5 Noveske. I like the 62 for the extra velocity since the weak spot with the TSX/TTSX at longer range is expansion speed. With solids like these, they tend to retain weight better than cup/core bullets so often will give penetration equal to heavier traditional bullets that shed weight during penetration.

Sad that Asym closed. They made some great ammo.

Feedback Score
    I will have to search for my chrono and see what sort of velocity for both the BH and the Barnes. That would be interesting to see where they are out of the 12.5”

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rocsteady View Post
    Were I to be so fortunate to live in a non-urban area some day, I would be switching my “mags at the ready” from the current BH 50 grain setup to something with the 70g TSX for sure.
    I wouldn’t go out of my way to replace the 50gr load, unless some larger animals are a possible defensive use. Both are solid performers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast