Thread: 16" Barrel Recommendations for Solid Copper Bullets

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

16" Barrel Recommendations for Solid Copper Bullets

Last year I acquired a substantial amount of Black Hills GMX 70gr and Barnes VOR TX 70gr. After testing both rounds in a 16" 1 in 8 barrel and a couple 11.5" 1 in 7 barrels, I'm less than impressed with the accuracy I've been getting.

I suspect it has a lot to do with the length and hardness of the Hornady and Barnes copper bullets making them difficult to properly stabilize in slower twist or shorter barrels. I also wonder if the rifling is getting a sufficient purchase on the harder material. So I'm looking at building a 16" or 18" SPR type upper with a 1 in 7 twist barrel in an effort to sufficiently stabilize these things. I suppose I could be convinced to go to a 20", but I still want to be able to carry this rifle extensively, if need be, so weight is a consideration. And it will be suppressed which adds substantial length and weight way up front.

Some of the barrels I've been considering are the SPR barrels from WOA. And possibly a Black Hole Weaponry barrel if I can convince them to build me one with their newly developed "claw" rifling which is supposed to work well specifically on all copper bullets. I have one of their standard polygonal barrels in a 308 AR build, and I'm pleased with its performance, FWIW.

Any ideas, or experiences getting better accuracy with all copper bullets? Barrel recommendations? Will a 223 Wylde barrel be a hindrance to these 5.56 rounds?
    Last edited by georgeib; 04-21-23 at 21:46.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine