Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 16" Barrel Recommendations for Solid Copper Bullets

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

16" Barrel Recommendations for Solid Copper Bullets

Last year I acquired a substantial amount of Black Hills GMX 70gr and Barnes VOR TX 70gr. After testing both rounds in a 16" 1 in 8 barrel and a couple 11.5" 1 in 7 barrels, I'm less than impressed with the accuracy I've been getting.

I suspect it has a lot to do with the length and hardness of the Hornady and Barnes copper bullets making them difficult to properly stabilize in slower twist or shorter barrels. I also wonder if the rifling is getting a sufficient purchase on the harder material. So I'm looking at building a 16" or 18" SPR type upper with a 1 in 7 twist barrel in an effort to sufficiently stabilize these things. I suppose I could be convinced to go to a 20", but I still want to be able to carry this rifle extensively, if need be, so weight is a consideration. And it will be suppressed which adds substantial length and weight way up front.

Some of the barrels I've been considering are the SPR barrels from WOA. And possibly a Black Hole Weaponry barrel if I can convince them to build me one with their newly developed "claw" rifling which is supposed to work well specifically on all copper bullets. I have one of their standard polygonal barrels in a 308 AR build, and I'm pleased with its performance, FWIW.

Any ideas, or experiences getting better accuracy with all copper bullets? Barrel recommendations? Will a 223 Wylde barrel be a hindrance to these 5.56 rounds?
    Last edited by georgeib; 04-21-23 at 21:46.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I don't know how much this applies to your situation, but the 20" WOA barrel I've been playing with is as accurate as I can hold it from a bipod. No personal experience with the BHW barrels. My only monolithic bullet experience is with Barnes 110gr in 300 BO, and they were remarkably easy to work with.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    Any ideas, or experiences getting better accuracy with all copper bullets?
    If it were me, I'd pull the homo bullets and sub some 69 RMRs. Then sell the copper things to someone else. (I get than not everyone had the tools to pull bullets)

I damned sure wouldn't build a gun around that stuff.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    If it were me, I'd pull the homo bullets and sub some 69 RMRs. Then sell the copper things to someone else. (I get than not everyone had the tools to pull bullets)

I damned sure wouldn't build a gun around that stuff.
    True. There's always that option. It might be that there's no way to save these things. I do like the idea of them however, their terminal ballistics and barrier blindness. There's also that I like finding answers to questions no one is asking...

I do want to solve this "problem", but at the same time I don't want to waste a bunch of time and money on a wild goose chase. Still, I don't have a precision 223/5.56 so if I do end up building this upper, it'll have it's place regardless of whether I 86 this ammo or get it to work.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    I would not take advice from markm. He has an opinion on everything and is quite often wrong. What are the barrel brands that you have tested the loads with, what accuracy were you getting, and what accuracy are you looking for?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    If Blackstone arms has the ARP 16" 3r barrels mine has done great with the 70gr tsx. I also have a 11.5 and 16" Triarc trac barrels that are sub moa with tsx. If you intend to suppress it the Triarc is the way I would go.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wickedyz View Post
    I would not take advice from markm. He has an opinion on everything and is quite often wrong. What are the barrel brands that you have tested the loads with, what accuracy were you getting, and what accuracy are you looking for?
    Is there a law against having an opinion? If so I think it should also apply to your opinion.
    Last edited by GH41; 04-22-23 at 10:31.

Feedback Score
    My 16” is a 1:7 Wilson Combat fluted barrel. Easily. sub MOA ( five shot groups at 100yds) with anything from the 40gr varmint bullets, 62 and 70gr Barnes copper bullets, to the Barnes 85gr OTM BT. I think it is a Wylde chamber, but am not certain.

Feedback Score
    I have not used all copper bullets, but the rainier 16"ultramatch mod2 has been a great barrel and has a 1:7.5" twist rate. Right around 30oz with flutes.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    Last year I acquired a substantial amount of Black Hills GMX 70gr and Barnes VOR TX 70gr. After testing both rounds in a 16" 1 in 8 barrel and a couple 11.5" 1 in 7 barrels, I'm less than impressed with the accuracy I've been getting.
    I would not be inclined to buy a particular barrel to shoot a particular bullet like that unless I had several barrels full of them and they were given to me for free.

You should not be having to build a special rifle / carbine just to be able to get good hits on paper with a crap bullet.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast