Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 16" Barrel Recommendations for Solid Copper Bullets

Feedback Score

16" Barrel Recommendations for Solid Copper Bullets

I had good success shooting 70gr Hornady GMX monolithic bullets through two barrels: 1) 16” Ballistic Advantage Modern Series BA Hanson profile 1:7 with 5.56 chamber, and 2) Green Mountain Barrel GM-20 20” 1:8 SPR stainless fluted with 223 Wylde chamber.

The 20” Wylde is more accurate but I would buy the BA Hanson barrel again in a heartbeat and very satisfied with it. What function the Wylde barrel performance has from chamber freebore for the longer bullets jump (and short COAL used) or if they actually prefer the slower twist versus having faster twist I cannot say. I did not seat into or near lands and was surprised how well it works. I got better accuracy with it for other long for 1:8 twist bullets (ELD 73gr and 75gr single loaded COAL above mag length) as well but it is longer and much heavier than the 16” barrel obviously. I think 1:8 does fine with them. I used the same COAL of 2.200” for 70gr GMX in both barrels with the bullet 1.047” length typ.
    Last edited by lordmorgul; 05-10-23 at 02:52.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lordmorgul View Post
    I had good success shooting 70gr Hornady GMX monolithic bullets through two barrels: 1) 16” Ballistic Advantage Modern Series BA Hanson profile 1:7 with 5.56 chamber, and 2) Green Mountain Barrel GM-20 20” 1:8 SPR stainless fluted with 223 Wylde chamber.

The 20” Wylde is more accurate but I would buy the BA Hanson barrel again in a heartbeat and very satisfied with it. What function the Wylde barrel performance has from chamber freebore for the longer bullets jump (and short COAL used) or if they actually prefer the slower twist versus having faster twist I cannot say. I did not seat into or near lands and was surprised how well it works. I got better accuracy with it for other long for 1:8 twist bullets (ELD 73gr and 75gr single loaded COAL above mag length) as well but it is longer and much heavier than the 16” barrel obviously. I think 1:8 does fine with them. I used the same COAL of 2.200” for 70gr GMX in both barrels with the bullet 1.047” length typ.
    Im guessing yours actually came with rifling?

Forward Ascertainment Group

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Im guessing yours actually came with rifling?

That is a first but hey the gas port didn't hit a land.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    I have had great experiences with V Seven barrels. 1:7 twist, polygonal bore. I’ve shot lots of Hornady and BH all copper bullets and they’ve performed flawlessly.

Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    Last year I acquired a substantial amount of Black Hills GMX 70gr and Barnes VOR TX 70gr. After testing both rounds in a 16" 1 in 8 barrel and a couple 11.5" 1 in 7 barrels, I'm less than impressed with the accuracy I've been getting.

I suspect it has a lot to do with the length and hardness of the Hornady and Barnes copper bullets making them difficult to properly stabilize in slower twist or shorter barrels. I also wonder if the rifling is getting a sufficient purchase on the harder material. So I'm looking at building a 16" or 18" SPR type upper with a 1 in 7 twist barrel in an effort to sufficiently stabilize these things. I suppose I could be convinced to go to a 20", but I still want to be able to carry this rifle extensively, if need be, so weight is a consideration. And it will be suppressed which adds substantial length and weight way up front.

Some of the barrels I've been considering are the SPR barrels from WOA. And possibly a Black Hole Weaponry barrel if I can convince them to build me one with their newly developed "claw" rifling which is supposed to work well specifically on all copper bullets. I have one of their standard polygonal barrels in a 308 AR build, and I'm pleased with its performance, FWIW.

Any ideas, or experiences getting better accuracy with all copper bullets? Barrel recommendations? Will a 223 Wylde barrel be a hindrance to these 5.56 rounds?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidjinks View Post
    I have had great experiences with V Seven barrels. 1:7 twist, polygonal bore. I’ve shot lots of Hornady and BH all copper bullets and they’ve performed flawlessly.
    Thank you. There does seem to be a nice pairing between polygonal rifling and copper bullets. I've put this build on the back burner for now as I'm busy with work, but I've been leaning towards a polygonal rifled barrel.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    I have only used the 16” mid lengths and the 14.5” midlegth. They all shot MOA or better for me with match ammo. The BH 62 grain stuff shot exactly 1” at 100 yards. I’m not a supersniperdeltacagrangersasoperstor, but this barrel was a laser.

The huge upside, at least for, is their warranty. No matter what, you shoot thebarrel out, they’ll replace it.

EDITED FOR CORRECTION…

Thank you. There does seem to be a nice pairing between polygonal rifling and copper bullets. I've put this build on the back burner for now as I'm busy with work, but I've been leaning towards a polygonal rifled barrel.
    Last edited by davidjinks; 06-30-23 at 22:05.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidjinks View Post
    I have only used the 16” mid lengths. They all shot MOA or better for me with match ammo. The BH 62 grain stuff shot exactly 1” at 100 yards. I’m not a supersniperdeltacagrangersasoperstor, but this barrel was a laser.

The huge upside, at least for, is their warranty. No matter what, you shoot thebarrel out, they’ll replace it.
    Is yours the standard or lightweight contour barrel? I'm leaning towards a lightweight fluted. Wonder how much that would affect precision.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    I prefer the standard weight barrels. I feel as if the light weight barrels, though light, have more barrel while and the heat affects their accuracy a lot faster than the standard weigh barrels.

I use these 2 barrels:

https://www.vsevenweaponsystems.com/...atch-barrel-16

https://www.vsevenweaponsystems.com/...ch-barrel-14-5

I will be building a 10.5” upper using this barrel in there near future:

https://www.vsevenweaponsystems.com/...ch-barrel-10-5

There’s an option with the barrel selection to have them coated black, which I believe is KG400 which has held up extremely well. Of course, I paint all my rifles.

Is yours the standard or lightweight contour barrel? I'm leaning towards a lightweight fluted. Wonder how much that would affect precision.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234