Thread: The Definition of "Strong Enough"

Feedback Score

The Definition of "Strong Enough"

I've been mulling this idea around in my head for a bit, because it's hard to pin a definition down. A lot of it relates to what someone intends to actually do with their strength. For professional power lifters and strongman competitors, the answer is inevitably "more than I can do now."

But something I'd like to understand a broader perspective on is the "operational athlete" angle. Let's say something like a high level military unit like the 75th, SEALs, Raiders, PJs, etc. They have a high physical demand, of course, but they have a lot of other responsibilities and skills to maintain throughout the year. The kind of time, dedication, and recovery methods required in the gym to reach a 600-700 lb deadlift probably aren't realistic- but also probably not necessary.

If you're taking someone who wants to be broadly "capable" at a lot of things, where do you start drawing the line on strong enough before other skills become more important to work on?
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    https://mtntactical.com/knowledge/st...th-assessment/

This was a fairly popular training program back a few years ago, you should look at their standards.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I had this conversation with myself as I got older and injuries began to pile up.

I think the equation is life/job applicability of the strength/type of lift weighed against the risk of injury. I used to train to move a lot of weight but my shoulders always seemed to be hurting (could not bench with a bar anymore) and I had a few bad injuries requiring surgery (both a hip and a knee, separately) that were directly related to the amount of weight I was lifting and the movements I was doing.

Anyway, I came across Brute Force sandbags at a Tactical Games and my eyes were opened to the more functional side. I do all my workouts with a combination of a PC, sandbags (usually 58#), pull-up bar, drag sled, TRX, 35# KB, jump box and adjustable DBs to 52.5# (I think that's the weight). I'm infinitely more functional for my job (LE patrol/SWAT) while being also infinitely more available due to zero time out due to big injuries. BF, Street Parking and companies like them have great programs (BF is currently free) that send you daily workouts.

Being able to do a sub 50:00 Murph is way more important/relevant to my work and lifestyle than when I would pull 545#x2 in a DL.

To put it even more into perspective, I have to take a PT test twice a year for my unit at work and I went from huffing and puffing through the obstacle course (though I could pick up the obstacles and throw them, which was almost irrelevant) to now dusting guys 15 years younger than me.

EDIT: I also do mobility-specific workouts sometimes that are mostly bodyweight that I would have been completely disinterested in when I was benching 415#... and I was wrong for thinking that way.
    Last edited by TheTick; 04-22-23 at 19:00.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Corse View Post
    https://mtntactical.com/knowledge/st...th-assessment/

This was a fairly popular training program back a few years ago, you should look at their standards.
    I'm pretty familiar with Rob Shaul's work, and I've done a couple of his programs. They're still good, IMO, though I use them more for training to something specific than I do for general day-to-day stuff. His standards are reasonable, though.

For him, these are the "Tactical Athlete" standards
    • Front squat: 1.5x bw
    • Hinge lift (AKA deadlift): 2x bw
    • Bench press: 1.5x bw
    • Pull ups: 15 reps

I also came across a lot of other trainers with their own variations.

Jonathan Pope at Building the Elite:
    • Deadlift: 1.75x bw
    • TB Deadlift: 2x bw
    • BB Squat: 1.75x bw
    • BB Front Squat: 1.5x bw
    • Weighted pull up: +50% bw for 1 RM
    • Rear foot elevated split squat: 1x bw for 10 reps
    • KB Overhead PRess: 45% bw
    • Bench press: 1.25x bw

Nate Morrison did a series of write ups for spotter up years ago with these numbers:
    • Weighted pull up: +60% bw for 1RM
    • Snatch: 120% bw
    • Overhead press: 125% bw
    • Bench press: 150% bw
    • Lunge: 150% bw
    • Clean: 150% bw
    • Squat: 200% bw
    • Deadlift: 250% bw

Looking through that, there are similarities between them. I'm also just curious in general for those who have "been there done that" if there was a trend or expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTick
    Anyway, I came across Brute Force sandbags at a Tactical Games and my eyes were opened to the more functional side. I do all my workouts with a combination of a PC, sandbags (usually 58#), pull-up bar, drag sled, TRX, 35# KB, jump box and adjustable DBs to 52.5# (I think that's the weight). I'm infinitely more functional for my job (LE patrol/SWAT) while being also infinitely more available due to zero time out due to big injuries. BF, Street Parking and companies like them have great programs (BF is currently free) that send you daily workouts.
    Personally, I've also become a big fan of sandbag and kettlebell work to add to my main strength movements. Over time, I've drifted towards strongman-style sandbag work with 100 lb - 200 lb sandbags. There's just something satisfying about picking up and moving things that would otherwise prefer not to be moved. It's a lot of carryover into other day-to-day tasks like helping a friend move furniture.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrigandTwoFour View Post

Personally, I've also become a big fan of sandbag and kettlebell work to add to my main strength movements. Over time, I've drifted towards strongman-style sandbag work with 100 lb - 200 lb sandbags. There's just something satisfying about picking up and moving things that would otherwise prefer not to be moved. It's a lot of carryover into other day-to-day tasks like helping a friend move furniture.
    What I had written and recommended about sandbags 2014:

https://brinkzone.com/the-benefits-of-sandbag-training/

The last vid is SWAT team you have to view on YT.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    At 70 years old I am Strong Enough for my needs in my life.
    245 pounds on a 6-foot 3-inch frame.
    My max lifts are long gone but respectable for my age.
    315-pound flat bench
    290-pound close grip bench
    390-pound deadlift bad knees hold me back
    Do leg press and dumbbell squats.

Ride a stationary bike.
    Hit a heavy bag and fight with younger guys a few times a Month.
    I still have one good fight left in the tank.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Max Cady; 06-17-23 at 02:24.