Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replace titanium firing pin?

Feedback Score

Replace titanium firing pin?

So I got my first light primer strikes today with my Prodigy using Turkish ZQI military ammo. My Prodigy has not had any issues to this point with any other ammo. But I ran into a deal at the Fort Worth gun show on this ZQI and bought 5K rounds. But it must have a harder primer. I'd like to use this ammo in competition with my Prodigy. I believe Springfield uses titanium firing pins. Should I just install a steel firing fin and be done with it?

Stay safe

Heavyweight

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Must be hard AF primers. “Hammer guns” don’t usually experience this like Striker guns have for me.
    Might find out what weight Mainspring is in the gun.
    I would try a couple pound heavier MS first, a “Government Model”- 5” gun uses a 23# MS/Hammer Spring as Standard.
    A 25# spring (as example) will increase the trigger pull weight fractionally but may run your ammo without misfires/light primer hits.

I had issues wit Ti firing pin in an old SA 9mm, but it was apparently undersize for the firing pin tunnel and caused what looked like primer “flow back” which would shear off and cause misfires with primer debris slowing down the firing pin inertia.
    Doubt that’s still a thing with SA, but you might verify that is NOT an issue with your pistol.
    Last edited by gaijin; 04-22-23 at 20:40.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavyweight View Post
    ... Turkish ZQI military ammo. ... it must have a harder primer. I believe Springfield uses titanium firing pins. Should I just install a steel firing fin and be done with it?
    Yes, you want steel. I believe all Springfields use the smaller diameter 9mm / 38 Super pin specifically for high-pressure loads.

Feedback Score
    I agree with @sinister. Replace it with a steel firing pin. Titanium firing pins do not have as long a service life as steel and require a wicked strong mainspring to pop primers. You can use a magnet to determine if your firing pin is titanium. It it sticks to a magnet, it's steel. If not, it's titanium.

To be sure you get the correct diameter steel firing pin use gauge pins to determine the actual size of the firing pin hole in the breechface. EGW makes four firing pins of different diameters, Wilson, Ed Brown, Harrison, and others also offer an assortment of firing pins.

At the same time replace the mainspring with a Wolff 23lb mainspring (hammer spring) and the firing pin spring with a Wolff extra power firing pin return spring.

Feedback Score
    Gaijin....is this what primer "flow back" might look like? Zoom in on the primer. What's funny is that I haven't noticed this with any other ammo I've shot through the Prodigy....and it's been at least a half a dozen types.

Thanks

Heavyweight

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    Yes, you want steel. I believe all Springfields use the smaller diameter 9mm / 38 Super pin specifically for high-pressure loads.
    The Prodigy uses Springfield's standard 9mm/38 Super firing pin with .075 diameter. Ordered a stainless ED Brown pin for $11.95. Cheap fix.

Thanks

Heavyweight

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavyweight View Post
    Gaijin....is this what primer "flow back" might look like? Zoom in on the primer. What's funny is that I haven't noticed this with any other ammo I've shot through the Prodigy....and it's been at least a half a dozen types.

Thanks

Heavyweight

Yes. Mine would shear off the raised/flow portion of primer which would accumulate in FP Tunnel and slow FP velocity causing misfires.
    Total ShitShow.
    I think I used a Baer FP (steel) I had laying around. It did cure the issue(s).
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    Thanks everyone....I think the steel pin will allow me to shoot this ammo. According to SA the mainspring is 25#. So I'm going to leave that alone for now I think.

Y'all behave.

Heavyweight

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    What about extended steel firing pins? Are those recommended?

Why are extra power firing pin return springs often recommended?
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    What about extended steel firing pins? Are those recommended?

Why are extra power firing pin return springs often recommended?
    Extra power FP springs theoretically help from allowing inertia firing if gun is dropped, which is partially reason for using Ti pin (in addition to decreased lock time).

I would assume extended steel FP would exaggerate that “drop/inertia fire” problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast