Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Plate carrier

Feedback Score
    https://skdtac.com/plate-carriers/

It seems like there are lots of options for a LEO out there.
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkslinger View Post
    Less uncomfortable than taking a rifle round in the torso.
    Yes, so why not just ditch soft armor and keep with rifle rated plates that stop up to 44 mag?

Mission spec will make you just about anything and are reasonably priced.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidneyious View Post
    Yes, so why not just ditch soft armor and keep with rifle rated plates that stop up to 44 mag?
    Uh... what? All rifle rated plates would defeat .44 Mag. Hell, IIIA is specifically tested against .44 Mag, and is a very common rating for soft armor.

Soft armor provides much better coverage than plates ever could. In an LE job, soft armor would provide much better protection compared to plates, given the threats most LEOs face. There are many plates that are designed to be used with a backer, and the IIIA soft armor that many agencies issue would be a great match to them.

I will argue against finding the lightest plates with the level of threat defeat you want, as this can often mean you're running around with plates >1", as UHMWPE can be very light, but also very thick; I'm more than willing to trade some weight for to be lower profile, as mobility remains key IMO. It's all a balance, and you'll have to determine what weight, thickness, cost, and threat defeat you need, we can't do that for you.

I'll note that I would outfit the SPC with a quick donning system rather than deal with the hook/loop attachment, particularly for an active shooter type rig; I personally run the AXL Tube adapters for my SPC.
    Last edited by Defaultmp3; 05-02-23 at 14:39.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by msp21 View Post
    ...... The two carriers I have been leaning toward are the Air light SPC Swimmer and Agilite Gear K19 Plate Carrier 3.0. What are your thoughts?
    The intent would be to go over soft armor, and for it to be more of an active shooter or active threat set-up to be worn on occasion not full-time.

Loadout would probably be additional rifle mags, pistol mags, first aid kit, and tourniquet.
    Get the SPC or a JPC 2.0 hands down.
    The Agilite build quality is ok, but it is heavy and bloopy. And if you're wearing this over your soft armor duty vest, you're not going to need the ridiculous amount of extra padding it has anyway. Might actually fit worse.

For your loadout and usage level, you probably don't "need" the SPC if you can get a JPC 2.0 cheap enough. But, the structural support of the SPC won''t hurt either. Flip a coin.
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Agreed, lighter/thinner would be best for your application, and DEFINITELY go FS tubes or some other QD setup for the cumber for this particular mission. In your place, I'd consider that a must.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    You definitely need to wear your soft armor- for the coverage against pistols.
    I’m a LEO and find myself occasionally in uniform. When I do. I’m wearing an external soft armor carrier with a couple items mounted on front ( flashlight, TQ, and OC ) as I can’t carry everything needed on my duty belt. I could not throw my Pc on over that if needed for an active shooter situation. I carry 2 options based on response time and situation. One is a simple bandolier with rifle mags and an iFak. The other is my SWAT issued soft / hard armor combo- and will be used if time permits.

I think PC’s for LEO’s have a specific stand alone use, and should be used for the most part in conjunction with soft armor. I’d recommend the JPC 1 or 2.0 if you are throwing over soft armor / uniform shirt
    Last edited by quackhead; 06-17-23 at 07:45.

Feedback Score
    Really depends on what you want to spend. I’ve had the Ferro Concepts Slickster and the FCPC and a few other cheap no name brand plate carriers. I like the FCPC better than the Slickster for LEO active shooter response. The JPC 2.0 option is good as well. If you’re really looking to save weight choose your plates wisely. You can pick up some lightweight Level III+ in conjunction with soft armor plates which are pretty light. Again though depends on what your budget is and whether your a buy once cry once type of guy.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    I would go this route - https://www.optactical.com/fispfionwigp.html. On sale and specifically designed for what is your stated mission. Because you are already wearing soft armor you can get plates would be Level 4 with backers. Save you some weight.
    nawai

Feedback Score
    I know there has been a lot of plate carrier questions, so I’m hoping that this is not a repeat of a previous post. My scenario is this. I am a police officer who works the road. I am looking for the most comfortable plate carrier out there to go over the top of my uniform. At a bare minimum I want shooters cut, but I am leaning towards swimmer cut plates for more range of motion, especially because I have one bad shoulder that already has lower range of motion. The two carriers I have been leaning toward are the Air light SPC Swimmer and Agilite Gear K19 Plate Carrier 3.0. What are your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Probably have already purchased but... Agilite K-0 may be a better fit or the Javlin "A JAC" if you want an elastic cummerbund and QD First Spear tubes.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    Uh... what? All rifle rated plates would defeat .44 Mag. Hell, IIIA is specifically tested against .44 Mag, and is a very common rating for soft armor.

Soft armor provides much better coverage than plates ever could. In an LE job, soft armor would provide much better protection compared to plates, given the threats most LEOs face. There are many plates that are designed to be used with a backer, and the IIIA soft armor that many agencies issue would be a great match to them.

I will argue against finding the lightest plates with the level of threat defeat you want, as this can often mean you're running around with plates >1", as UHMWPE can be very light, but also very thick; I'm more than willing to trade some weight for to be lower profile, as mobility remains key IMO. It's all a balance, and you'll have to determine what weight, thickness, cost, and threat defeat you need, we can't do that for you.

I'll note that I would outfit the SPC with a quick donning system rather than deal with the hook/loop attachment, particularly for an active shooter type rig
    Totally agree. Plates don't cover shit. I keep a set, but just run soft panels in my personal carrier for actual coverage.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast