Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another incident showing why exemptions and immunities need to go away

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    How much respect would you have for a firefighter who talked endlessly about how the single most important thing is that he goes home at the end of each shift? I mean, literally EVERYONE wants firefighters to go home safe and uninjured, but choosing that profession means choosing to take a major risk for the benefit of others.
    We should be infinitely grateful that firefighters are cut from a completely different cloth.
    "Knowledge without experience is just information"--Mark Twain

Hindsight is 6920

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    Somewhere in between the mob-ruled leftist urban hellscapes, and this dystopian incident and legal ruling, there should be a balance between officer safety and public safety.
    QFT. They continued to shoot the hostage after he was out of the truck. That is miles past any reasonable position on officer safety.

Feedback Score
    I’m not going to comment on shooting into the truck while moving.

But shooting the driver AFTER he exited? They should have done bullet tests and found out whom shot those rounds and then charged them with first degree murder.

If that was any of us, they’d fry us for it.
    Then to add that all is well that ends well and they were making memories, that makes me puke.

Don’t think for one second those cops would stand up for your constitutional rights, because they’d go full Jack Boot thug quicker than you can blink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    I’m not going to comment on shooting into the truck while moving.

But shooting the driver AFTER he exited? They should have done bullet tests and found out whom shot those rounds and then charged them with first degree murder.

If that was any of us, they’d fry us for it.
    Then to add that all is well that ends well and they were making memories, that makes me puke.

Don’t think for one second those cops would stand up for your constitutional rights, because they’d go full Jack Boot thug quicker than you can blink.

yeah, that's where I'd say this went overboard. Stop the truck, sure. I get that. But then concentrate on the problem at hand. Shooting him after he exited the truck is where you lose me.
    "It is only the warrior who chooses pacifism. All others are condemned to it."

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."
    Dangerous Freedom over Peaceful Slavery.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    And another one.

Feedback Score
    The most original idea I have seen addressing the matter of legal abuse such as above is this.
    Draft the police force. Put them in some boot camp and then keep them there for 2 years. Rotate fresh people in.

People who want to be in the profession probably shouldn't be there.

I know the idea will not find much traction here, or anywhere and get ridiculed but really, I submit the status quo situation is a disaster. Recognize that. If you don't then this makes no sense at all. What we have right now. There are multiple protected classes, immune from the same laws the rest of us have to live under. We are at an impasse. Something happens, people complain, then it's back to business as usual. Incident-complaining-forgetting.
    Meanwhile people and their lives are destroyed with impunity.
    we all say "Thank God it wasn't me".

Unless the victim fits certain criteria, then the case can be milked for political advantages, but generally it's back to business as usual. The judicial doesn't bring any relief.
    I suggest trying something radically new versus a band-aid. Draft non-professionals from the same community so they stay in touch with the community without the us-versus-them mindset. They can't possibly screw up any more than this.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ad_infinitum View Post
    The most original idea I have seen addressing the matter of legal abuse such as above is this.
    Draft the police force. Put them in some boot camp and then keep them there for 2 years. Rotate fresh people in.

People who want to be in the profession probably shouldn't be there.

I know the idea will not find much traction here, or anywhere and get ridiculed but really, I submit the status quo situation is a disaster. Recognize that. If you don't then this makes no sense at all. What we have right now. There are multiple protected classes, immune from the same laws the rest of us have to live under. We are at an impasse. Something happens, people complain, then it's back to business as usual. Incident-complaining-forgetting.
    Meanwhile people and their lives are destroyed with impunity.
    we all say "Thank God it wasn't me".

Unless the victim fits certain criteria, then the case can be milked for political advantages, but generally it's back to business as usual. The judicial doesn't bring any relief.
    I suggest trying something radically new versus a band-aid. Draft non-professionals from the same community so they stay in touch with the community without the us-versus-them mindset. They can't possibly screw up any more than this.
    I think one of the biggest problems is the thin blue line bs. Bad cops can just go from county to county and behind the blue line, rarely are they seen as it’s their fault for being fired. It’s a community that only worries about protecting their own. Instead of standing up and cleaning up their own houses.

Then just moving bad cops around, ones who have been disciplined time and time again is where this defund the police bs comes from. And honestly while I don’t agree with it wholesale, I can see their side and see where they’re coming from.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    "Systematic acts of covering up misconduct"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Entryteam View Post
    yeah, that's where I'd say this went overboard. Stop the truck, sure. I get that. But then concentrate on the problem at hand. Shooting him after he exited the truck is where you lose me.
    Look, I know from past posts you're an LEO of some type. You always seem like one of the "good guys". I am disappointed to read this. Yeah, I get the "greater good" thing, but jeez if you were that guy forced at gunpoint to drive the truck and were shot at with intent to stop (and likely be killed in the process) would you see it that way? What if you were a family member?

I guess this is akin, on a smaller scale, to the USAF scrambling fighters on 9-11 to shoot down any aircraft that was approaching Washington D.C......if Shanksville hadn't occurred (due to the passengers themselves doing it) then it would have been splashed with all on board. That "greater good" thing I mentioned. I understand but damn, to be one of those "sacrificed" or a family member it would leave an extremely bitter taste in your mouth.

In the case mentioned here thank God the dude survived, but he should own that county. Any cop who shot him after leaving the vehicle should be terminated AND charged, and the dickhead who made the smart-ass comment on the radio should also be unemployed.
    Last edited by ABNAK; 05-19-23 at 19:36.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    I can’t help but think the rationale of those supporting firing at a vehicle that's occupied by a hostage is the same idiocy as placing a thin blue line and Don’t Tread on Me sticker on your personal car… support the system that’ll tread on you.
    EATADIK.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast