Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hornady Frontier 5.56

Feedback Score

Hornady Frontier 5.56

Is Hornady Frontier ammo any good? It is ammo that would be for multi purpose use, target, self defense, shtf.

When ever I am at the local hardware store I buy a couple boxes of 20. I think I've been paying about $10 or $11 a box with a military discount. They also have Winchester green tip. The Hornady is 55gr and 75gr. The Winchester is 62gr. Just wondering which is better ammo? I have a 16" 1:7 non suppressed barrel.

Thank you in advance for any advice.
    Last edited by e z money; 05-07-23 at 17:16.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Don't know if it has improved any, but I do remember reading bad things about a few years ago. IIRC, it was causing some kabooms, but I may be off on that.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    Don't know if it has improved any, but I do remember reading bad things about a few years ago. IIRC, it was causing some kabooms, but I may be off on that.
    Nope. That was well documented.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    Nope. That was well documented.
    Yup, just looked it up. Multiple kabooms. Terrible QC. Also I seem to recall complaints about the cases being dirty/unpolished making extraction more difficult. One can hope that things have improved, I suppose.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    Interesting, I was thinking because it's made at the Lake City plant that it would be good quality. Guess I was wrong.

Feedback Score
    Wasn’t that a lot of 55gr 5.56 from 2019? Any issues since then?

Feedback Score
    I tried the 75gr and was not impressed. Accuracy was between mil surplus and decent match/hunting ammo (1.5-2moa).

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I have shot quite bit of 55 gr without issues, but there is better ammo available at the same prices.

Andy

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Pretty crappy ammo. A buddy of ours was shooting it at long range, then I handed him some RMR 69gr handloads. Remarkable difference in accuracy.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I have not shot any, just been the beneficiary of a leo friend giving me all the range brass. Won't pass up free brass.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast