Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hornady Frontier 5.56

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    I bought about 200 rounds of their 75gr BTHP because it was what I could find during the pandemic. Should I be concerned?
    If you are concerned, shoot it but check your brass for pressure indicators, avoid heatsoaking the ammo, and shoot on cooler days. I fired at least 1500 rds of the 55 gr Frontier because a local gun store sold it for a great price with zero issues. I also reload and the cases did not have loose primer pockets or any other obvious signs of overpressure.

Andy

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I bought 120 rounds of the 75gr BTHP ammo. Academy had a good deal for it and thought I'd give it a try. The stuff I got ran fine without any issues. Grouped better than the m855 I had. I have been impressed by Palmetto's AAC ammo. Bought the 77gr SMK and shoots and groups great!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by R0331 View Post
    I bought 120 rounds of the 75gr BTHP ammo. Academy had a good deal for it and thought I'd give it a try. The stuff I got ran fine without any issues. Grouped better than the m855 I had. I have been impressed by Palmetto's AAC ammo. Bought the 77gr SMK and shoots and groups great!
    Of all of the three of those, the WIN M855 in stores now was the best ammo I shot. Frontier, as mentioned, ran ok but was all over the place at distance. The AAC problems are covered in depth in the ammo forum. But the WIN M855 ran great and shot surprisingly accurately with an ACOG. I don't think we ran any out to 900 or 1000 yards, but we probably should.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Of all of the three of those, the WIN M855 in stores now was the best ammo I shot. Frontier, as mentioned, ran ok but was all over the place at distance. The AAC problems are covered in depth in the ammo forum. But the WIN M855 ran great and shot surprisingly accurately with an ACOG. I don't think we ran any out to 900 or 1000 yards, but we probably should.
    You get all the luck. My current stock of Winchester M855 shoots around 4 MOA out of all my guns at any distance and has wild swings in velocity.
    In heavenly love abiding, no change my heart shall fear;
    and safe is such confiding, for nothing changes here:
    the storm may roar without me, my heart may low be laid;
    but God is round about me, and can I be dismayed?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonidas24 View Post
    You get all the luck. My current stock of Winchester M855 shoots around 4 MOA out of all my guns at any distance and has wild swings in velocity.
    This was a sample of 1 box of 20. I might haul the other box I have and try shooting it in the bolt gun to 900 and or 1000. I don't think we've ever done that.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I wouldn’t run that crap unless I was black on ammo and my position was about to be overrun.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Wow, I didn't think AAC or Frontier stuff was that bad, albeit I do have a small sample size. It worked for the range and it was an alternative to the M855 stuff I usually use.

Feedback Score
    Edited out.
    Last edited by 498cm3; 05-24-23 at 09:01. Reason: Corrections, added info

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123