Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Silly question: which 30 cal for my next AR? 300BLK, 308 or 7.62x39?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Since there's no particular reason for the caliber, then you shouldn't need a particular reason to make the choice. Write each caliber name onto a small piece of paper and crumple them up. Walk to your closest neighbor's house and ask them to choose one.

I have no desire for any of the options you're considering.
    Last edited by grizzman; 05-13-23 at 16:16.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by utahjeepr View Post
    Might just be me, but I see 300BLK or x39 as being minor variations of a 5 56 gun while .308 is a more significant step. Sorta like engine options in an F150 vs making the jump to a 3/4 ton.

You gotta decide for yourself how far outside of your current box you want to go. What is the intended use that is driving you to 30 cal? Is it is just to have something different? What do you expect the gun to do better than a 5.56? You seem not to have defined answers to these questions.

In my case I went from multiple 5 56 ARs, added .308, then 9mm and .22lr.. I have yet to add 300BLK and I have AKs in the x39 flavors but not ARs. I also have multiple other guns in a spectrum of loadings. My ammo logistics are way more complicated than yours.

Though I have not followed your path of stocking limited cartridge types I do find merit to that philosophy. Were I in your shoes I would consider adding cartridges to the mix only if you feel the need to fill a specific role. I seriously consider myself to have an overly complicated "logistical chain". I stock 5 pistol calibers, 7 rifle calibers, plus .22lr and 12 Gauge. Your way is better.
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I was able to ride out the Biden/Covid ammo shortage and even sell some 9mm and .223. I definitely realized the benefits of streamlined inventory in limited calibers. In reality, I still multiple types of cartridges for each caliber. For self-defense or home-defense, 9mm and .223 has all aspects covered for me. I’m not an avid hunter, so the .308 LMT was for shooting to the 800-yard max distance at my local range. Then I took a long-range class on a windy day and got frustrated with .308 from 600-1200 yards while other students shooting 6.5CM had a much easier time. I borrowed one of their rifles and was able to make first-round hits all the way to 1000.

As a recreational shooter, maybe I’m wondering if I have any gaps in my set of “clubs” for shooting. I don’t have any visions of an EDC backpack gun or truck gun or nightvision to defend my suburban house. The easiest thing for me to do may be to swap a 13.5” lightweight barrel in my LMT but I haven’t found any KeyMo mount can bring it to 16” so I’d have to Form 1 the LMT. Or maybe it’s just a temporary itch that’ll pass.

Feedback Score
    I bought a 10 inch PSA KS47 pistol along with a KS47 16" upper. Excellent shooting guns. I already have a bolt action .308 with 22-inch barrel for hunting and a few AR of varying legnths. Loaded up with relatively cheap and effective PPU 123g PSP, the KS47's are great truck/camping guns/HD if ever needed for just about any situation
    Last edited by bigfeetz; 05-17-23 at 21:52.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by crosseyedshooter View Post
    After limiting myself to 223, 308 and 6.5CM in my rifles for many years, I'm at a crossroads for my next rifle. I already have .223 in 11.5", 14.5" and 16" ARs as well as a 308 LMT with 18" barrel and a 6.5CM 24" bolt gun. I'm trying to decide between these three calibers for no particular reason:

1. 9" 300BLK
    2. 11.5" 7.62x39
    3. 13" 308

The 300BLK, of course, brings subsonics to the table. However, although I have a 30 cal suppressor, my local range(s) always have other shooters that are unsuppressed. The 7.62x39 is cheapest to shoot of the three and 308 is the only one of the three that I already have ammo for. The idea of a 308 SBR is also tempting for some strange reason. Any of these three could be used for home defense, hog hunting, range days, etc. I don't have a specific use-case for them, but just thought I'd ask for some opinions and possibly have a discussion.
    I wouldn't think a 13" 308 would be very fun... handy, yes.. but the muzzle blast would be crazy.

As for the 300BLK a 9" has a place for me, and just buying a Upper would be the easy button.

The 7.62x39 in 11.5"... now that would be something that would interest me , especially if it was a "AR" lower that would accept AK mags.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bfoosh006 View Post
    I wouldn't think a 13" 308 would be very fun... handy, yes.. but the muzzle blast would be crazy.

As for the 300BLK a 9" has a place for me, and just buying a Upper would be the easy button.

The 7.62x39 in 11.5"... now that would be something that would interest me , especially if it was a "AR" lower that would accept AK mags.
    Chris Bartocci (sp?) did a review of the PSA KS47 and gave it high marks.

But without having true bolt hold open mags I would think a side charger would be better.

Supposedly the 28rd duramags are extremely reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I love Chris B’s stuff about the AR. I have purchased multiple books by him. But I really don’t trust his reviews of specific guns. Also, I found his conversion to Sig from Glock bemusing after he railed about the selection a couple years ago.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    I love Chris B’s stuff about the AR. I have purchased multiple books by him. But I really don’t trust his reviews of specific guns. Also, I found his conversion to Sig from Glock bemusing after he railed about the selection a couple years ago.
    Yeah, his rant about the MHS was pretty epic.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mig1nc View Post
    Yeah, his rant about the MHS was pretty epic.

Love the guy, and I appreciate it is hard to accumulate a social media following. But I’d bet a dollar you can pick up on the “I’m doing this review for the views and really don’t like this crap but will say it’s OK because I kinda have to.” There were like two videos where it almost felt like he was sulking while doing the review.

Again, I love his analytical stuff, the Caracal discussion, Black Rifle II, his armorers assembly/disassembly manual, etc etc. But just like I don’t go to an imam for a sermon about Jesus…

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bfoosh006 View Post

I spent a considerable amount of time building a 16 inch X39 that runs and eats everything. Then I replicated the process on an 11.5 (stamp is in process.) Then bolted on a Razor 7.62. It's one of my most favorite guns by far. No AK mags but don't feel the need with Duramags run perfectly. But I also don't own an AK so no stash of AK mags lying about.

Feedback Score
    Double tap
    Last edited by Dutch110; 05-22-23 at 14:40.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast