Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best brand/source for bolt only, no carrier?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Not too bad with the extra parts. What extractor spring does it come with?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    What is the bend brand and source for a mil-spec Carpenter 158 phosphate 5.56 bolt by itself, not a complete BCG?

I did not post this in the where-to-get-it thread as I think it may entail more discussion.
    Microbest, pretty sure BCMs bolts are made by Microbest. If not they are using programs with exact same tool paths.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    I didn’t see these. Great option for you D-Man.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You can pick up a complete Microbest BCG from PSA for $100. Seems like the easy button move. They call it the "Fathers of Freedom" BCG, presumably as a play on Sons of Liberty. Specced with a Sprinco extractor spring, properly staked, etc. I have one as a spare, and though I haven't used it yet, it certainly looks GTG.

ETA: School of the American Rifle has a video of measuring out the BCG, and his sample was GTG. FWIW.
    Last edited by georgeib; 05-14-23 at 21:28.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    I have a Toolcraft BCG in my M16 and have not had an issue.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    I’d probably pick up a few of these while they are on sale.

https://www.brownells.com/gun-parts/...ly-nitride-mp/

I don’t know about best, but for bolts only, some of the best options are more limited. IE: Sionics

I now see this isn’t C158 but 9310 so doesn’t fit your stated requirements.
    Which vendor has the best price?

Have you used that one?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    I have a Toolcraft BCG in my M16 and have not had an issue.
    One of the reasons I use Toolcraft BCG's is that their stuff is guaranteed - forever. Since it is well known that Toolcraft doesn't manufacture their own bolts, I called Toolcraft to get the skinny on the guarantee. Their stance was if it's sold by Toolcraft, it is guaranteed. When I asked how they could tell if it was a bolt they'd used, they said after you've built a couple hundred thousand, you can tell by looking at specific things.

I'm aware that lifetime guarantees are often a gimmick to get you to buy an item with the seller figuring very few will take advantage of it, but I'm one that will.

If I was buying a spare bolt, I'd go with the Brownell's for the same reason, their forever guarantee.

JMO
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    One of the reasons I use Toolcraft BCG's is that their stuff is guaranteed - forever. Since it is well known that Toolcraft doesn't manufacture their own bolts, I called Toolcraft to get the skinny on the guarantee. Their stance was if it's sold by Toolcraft, it is guaranteed. When I asked how they could tell if it was a bolt they'd used, they said after you've built a couple hundred thousand, you can tell by looking at specific things.

I'm aware that lifetime guarantees are often a gimmick to get you to buy an item with the seller figuring very few will take advantage of it, but I'm one that will.

If I was buying a spare bolt, I'd go with the Brownell's for the same reason, their forever guarantee.

JMO
    Yeah, when you really understand what you make (or even just inspect, but UNDERSTAND the product) you can tell... im in a different industry, but at a high level, if you are an expert in your area, you know. Them betting on their knowledge definately inspires confidence.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 05-16-23 at 21:26.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Hard to argue with that. Their mil-spec M16 BCG is $130, making the $80+ bolt assemblies seem less of a value. I would take the SOLGW bolt assembly at $67.76 but it's out of stock.

Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    You can pick up a complete Microbest BCG from PSA for $100. Seems like the easy button move. They call it the "Fathers of Freedom" BCG, presumably as a play on Sons of Liberty. Specced with a Sprinco extractor spring, properly staked, etc. I have one as a spare, and though I haven't used it yet, it certainly looks GTG.
    That is appealing but it is missing the High Pressure test. According to Mike Mihalski of SOLGW "People don’t realize that with well-made 158 carpenter steel bolts, about 3 percent of them will fail the HP test." That's a higher failure rate than I am comfortable with so I want individual HP testing now.

There is a seemingly similar Microbest BCG with HP test from arftac.com (out of stock) but I don't know if they can be trusted.

constructor, is there a better source for Microbest BCGs or bolt assemblies?
    Last edited by Disciple; 05-19-23 at 16:11.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I need the opposite, a couple of carriers...no bolt.

As to the OP, BCM has some in stock:
    https://bravocompanyusa.com/bcm-ar15-bolt-assembly-mpi/
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score

constructor, is there a better source for Microbest BCGs or bolt assemblies?
    I don't know, I purchased direct from them but I tried to get a friend set up and he said Microbest has not taken on any new customers in 10 years.
    After Blackstone Arms gets caught up and starts offering 5.56 he will take over my account with MB.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast