Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 62gr M855 or 55gr M193: Must choose ONE or THE OTHER for 16" bbl 1:7 twist

Feedback Score

62gr M855 or 55gr M193: Must choose ONE or THE OTHER for 16" bbl 1:7 twist

I know. Beaten to death a thousand times.
    But our circumstances are different now and worsening by the day,
    so it's worth reconsidering.

I want to buy 1000rnds of either 62gr M855 or 55gr M193
    I can buy only one or the other, not both.

Barrel: 16" 1:7

Purpose 1: Personal defense at around-the-house distances.
    Purpose 2: Potential large-scale societal chaos at urban distances out to 100 yards.
    Purpose 3: Potential confict in rural areas (as in Ukraine) out to 300 yards.

WHICH WOULD YOU BUY?
    Last edited by SearchMe; 04-12-23 at 09:32.

Feedback Score
    Try a couple boxes of each first, then order a quantity. None of us knows what the hell your gun likes.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    If I could only have a thousand rounds it wouldn't be either of those. Make mine 77gr OTMs. Having said that I am the proud owner of enough 855 to sink a small ship!

Feedback Score
    Whichever is cheaper for actually quality product.

I lean more towards 193.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Whichever is cheaper for actually quality product.

I lean more towards 193.
    This! Shitty version of either flavor would suck. I don't know where to find REAL M193.. there's a lot of ammo out there using the designation in the description.

The recent WIN M855 commercial ammo is really good stuff. But it's full retail price anywhere I've seen it.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncas47 View Post
    Try a couple boxes of each first, then order a quantity. None of us knows what the hell your gun likes.
    Feel better now?

For anyone who isn't a jackass, I'm speaking in general terms, about a typical 16" barrel with a typical 1:7 twist.

I'm asking about comparative ballistic performance and accuracy between those two rounds in general. There are other factors beyond "what the hell my gun likes" such as the steel core and overpenetration.

So generally speaking, which one would YOU buy in light of the "modern concerns" listed above?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    For the purposes you mentioned, M193 would be just fine. I would, however, recommend buying a few hundred rounds of the M855 to keep on hand.

Here is something that may help you.

https://www.gunmann.com/learning/m855-vs-m193/
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    Thanks, markm.

I'll probably buy PMC X-TAC in one flavor or the other. Both are available for around $450 per 1000rnds at present.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Likely to face targets with body armor then M855, but stay away from PMC, low velocity.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
    For the purposes you mentioned, M193 would be just fine. I would, however, recommend buying a few hundred rounds of the M855 to keep on hand.

Here is something that may help you.

https://www.gunmann.com/learning/m855-vs-m193/
    Great article. Thanks for the link. It's a very clear, concise distillation of what I've been learning about this subject (until now my choice has been 7.62x51).

I want the long-range stability of the 62gr and I know the 1:7 prefers a heavier bullet, but the M855 steel core penetration is a concern for home defense. So I turn to the 55gr M193, but body armor is becoming "a fashion statement" for crims and anarchists, so the 55gr lesser penetration (and somewhat reduced bullet stability at distance) is an issue.

And I agree with you; having both cartidges on hand is best. Budget is a factor, but so is timing in terms of ammuntion availability and in terms of the likelihood of serious trouble. So maybe holding 500 of each will have to do for now.

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast