Thread: Taurus Executive Grade 856

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Taurus Executive Grade 856

So I know my way aroond most of the semi pistols pretty good, limited experience on the 1911 platform, however I did some work on my SA Ronin and it worked out pretty good.
    That said, not looking for a referendum on the Tauras line of pistols, however this Executive grade has caught my eye, same parts, but a deidcated assembly line and hand fitted to there QA standards etc. While there might be "other" better revelovers? thats fine, but it meets my price point and what I'm looking for etc.
    I'd like to hear first hand, from any "owner/operators" on the pistol with respect to fit & finish and if you did have QA issues or broken guns etc. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by mildot; 05-19-23 at 00:36.

Certified Colt, Glock, REM, Tikka, SIG & S&W Armourer
    "Infil, Hit Target, Mission Complete, Exfil, Easy Day"

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mildot View Post
    So I know my way aroond most of the semi pistols pretty good, limited experience on the 1911 platform, however I did some work on my SA Ronin and it worked out pretty good.
    That said, not looking for a referendum on the Tauras line of pistols, however this Executive grade has caught my eye, same parts, but a deidcated assembly line and hand fitted to there QA standards etc. While there might be "other" better revelovers? thats fine, but it meets my price point and what I'm looking for etc.
    I'd like to hear first hand, from any "owner/operators" on the pistol with respect to fit & finish and if you did have QA issues or broken guns etc. Thanks in advance.
    Don't think you're gonna find a lot of Taurus owners here is my guess.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Taurus has gone through their “Seasons” much like many other firearms manufacturers. By many accounts, they are very much trending back to quality products, regardless what the “popular theories” on them are.

Back in the 80’s and 90’s, I knew Taurus as the “Copycat Gun Company”, and they were pretty good at it. I was a young GI and knew a lot of guys who bought Taurus 92’s over Berettas because they were a lot less expensive but held up and shot well. Same for their revolvers versus Smith and Wessons. I had a M44 .44 mag revolver that was a solid shooter and served me well, at a discount of a couple hundred below a Redhawk and several more below a S&W M29.

Taurus has upped their game over the last few years and they are doing much better quality these days. I’ve got friends who own their .38 revolvers and they are good guns. They are NOT Ruger, S&W Custom Shop guns, but for under $400, they are absolutely serviceable and reliable.

I am not familiar with the “Executive” line and doubt I’d pay up for that over a Ruger I could buy for about the same price, but that’s me. I’m sure it is structurally sound and good to go, but I’d think it like buying any top of the line economy thing, and not something that may hold value based on brand bias.

That said, their snub nose guns and their auto pistols and much more reliable than their guns of a few years back.

Probably didn’t answer your question but tried to provide perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I’d also add, if you want a better answer to a revolver question, I’d suggest you ask this same on the forum “The High Road”, a much older internet gun forum with a lot of more seasoned gun enthusiasts, many of which are serious revolver shooters.

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...#post-12586251

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks, good advice, and well said, the Taurus Execuitive Grade comes in right @ that $500 price point, while used ones in excellent condition can be found in the $350 to $450 range?

Certified Colt, Glock, REM, Tikka, SIG & S&W Armourer
    "Infil, Hit Target, Mission Complete, Exfil, Easy Day"

Feedback Score
    They make a new model of the 856 with an optic mount on it now. And the 605, which is a 5-shot .357.

I've seen poor reviews and guns that had to be fixed by Taurus recently. But they sell tons of guns and more customers seem happy than not.

I recently got a new S&W 686 Plus from a distributor that wasn't right. $950 revolver. They sent another. Seems to be just fine, haven't fired it yet.

I had both good & bad Taurus revolvers during the 90's. Then I avoided them for many years. Rolled the dice on a used .44 spec made in the 90's and it's been good.

It's worth a try. Be aware the trigger won't be great. You can get a slightly lighter mainspring from Wolf Gun Springs. Resist the temptation to go too light or you'll have misfires.

Feedback Score
    I have an 856UL snubbie. It works and was quite affordable. For a good review of the 856 Exec T.O.R.O got to https://revolverguy.com/

Feedback Score
    Wow, I did not realize these were available for around $500. May have to go look.

I’d heard they were going for $700’s which put them in the same range as Rugers…but that’s obviously wrong.

Thanks for the updated real time info…

Feedback Score
    I'd give it time. Let other folks test them out and review them. See if there is an issue trend. I've seen and shot some Taurus that have been good, their 63 knock comes to mind and I've seen some of their revolvers have issues. I want them to bring a good quality product to the market at a good price, that way we can get more revolver shooters out there, but it'll take a little time for me to trust them.