Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt 10.3 FSP Question

Feedback Score

Colt 10.3 FSP Question

I am down the rabbit hole on my 10.5 SBR build when it comes to the barrel. I will spare everyone the details but one of the options I came across was a 10.3 Colt surplus barrel with the FSP. It is a cut down 14.5 model. Price is decent so I am seriously considering it (even if I do have to open up the port a bit to get it to cycle a wider range of ammo.) It is most definitely going to have a dedicated can. My one fear is with thread concentricity not knowing who did the chop. Anyone have any feedback/experience on this topic?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch110 View Post
    I am down the rabbit hole on my 10.5 SBR build when it comes to the barrel. I will spare everyone the details but one of the options I came across was a 10.3 Colt surplus barrel with the FSP. It is a cut down 14.5 model. Price is decent so I am seriously considering it (even if I do have to open up the port a bit to get it to cycle a wider range of ammo.) It is most definitely going to have a dedicated can. My one fear is with thread concentricity not knowing who did the chop. Anyone have any feedback/experience on this topic?
    If it's real surplus it was most likely cut down by Crane, it would probable be an early one with that FSB, although anythings possible in the supply chain.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncas47 View Post
    If it's real surplus it was most likely cut down by Crane, it would probable be an early one with that FSB, although anythings possible in the supply chain.
    They have manufacture dates from 2001 - 2010. Not sure which year (if any?) are better / worse? If Crane did the cut I am going to assume it's ok and take a flyer. I have an email into the vendor asking as well as if the FSP is F marked or not. I would really like to do a CL barrel for this build.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    They have manufacture dates from 2001 - 2010. Not sure which year (if any?) are better / worse? If Crane did the cut I am going to assume it's ok and take a flyer. I have an email into the vendor asking as well as if the FSP is F marked or not. I would really like to do a CL barrel for this build.
    Where are you seeing a vendor selling 10.3" legit surplus barrels? If you really felt like you wanted 10.3 over better offerings (making clones or whatever is still great don't get me wrong), I would be suspect over the barrels actually being valid mil surplus.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Where are you seeing a vendor selling 10.3" legit surplus barrels? If you really felt like you wanted 10.3 over better offerings (making clones or whatever is still great don't get me wrong), I would be suspect over the barrels actually being valid mil surplus.
    I already have the better barrel lengths. This is because I want to see just how much gas I can take to the face while shooting suppressed. Figure I'll put on a YHM Turbo K and try out my WW2 surplus gas mask and see if the charcoal canisters still work

In all seriousness it's just another project I want to take on and play around with. I'll DM you the vendor. Don't want to get in trouble posting sales links in here to non site sponsors

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Any reason to not just buy a Factory new LMT or Colt 10.3 or 10.5? I have gone that route with good success.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Any reason to not just buy a Factory new LMT or Colt 10.3 or 10.5? I have gone that route with good success.

PB
    Besides me being cheap? None. The surplus one I am looking at is 100 bucks plus cheaper. That and I am going to pull the FSB and open the port up to something between .072 and .075 and would hate to butcher a new barrel with my ham fisted wrenching.

Feedback Score
    Sounds like a great barrel to play with, if it was really used, you might not have to open the port at all. If it looks good, I'd shoot it first with that "wider range" of ammo and see how ya like it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncas47 View Post
    Sounds like a great barrel to play with, if it was really used, you might not have to open the port at all. If it looks good, I'd shoot it first with that "wider range" of ammo and see how ya like it.
    You're probably right. I was going to open it up nominally to .072 and leave it alone since I need to take the handguard end cap off anyway (yeah I know I can cut it off but two birds, one stone.) But may just take your advice and shoot it a bunch first with and without the can and see how it behaves. IE do the smart thing

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    You're probably right. I was going to open it up nominally to .072 and leave it alone since I need to take the handguard end cap off anyway (yeah I know I can cut it off but two birds, one stone.) But may just take your advice and shoot it a bunch first with and without the can and see how it behaves. IE do the smart thing
    How much is the unknown barrel? It might be cool if it all works out, but if it doesn't you have waisted every dime, not just the $100 plus you mention. Best of luck either way Dutch.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast