Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Colt 10.3 FSP Question

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What size would you use?
    http://www.m4carbine.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=20651&dateline=1303766618

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowser View Post
    What size would you use?
    Me? I am going to run it as it shipped, see how it goes, and adjust from there. I'm not experienced with this set up at all so wouldn't pretend to give anyone advice. There is a ton of different opinions on the topic it seems. I did a quick perusal of published specs for port size on the 10.3 - 10.5 FSP barrels

Aero / BA - .0785
    SOLGW - .073
    LMT - .071 (I think I am going from memory here)
    Colt - .070
    TDP - .070
    Daniel Defense - .070 now but from threads on here they originally shipped with .083 and were a tad on the gassy and bouncy side as a result.

I'm also going to be running a can. Which is also going to play into this. Which is why I am going to run it and go from there and adjust as needed.

Feedback Score
    Seriously tempted.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncas47 View Post
    Seriously tempted.
    Mine shipped today and is showing up Friday. If you can hang on I'll let you know how it looks.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    The Crane spec of 070 is just large enough to reliably run 556 ammo un-suppressed.

That 070 spec size will also function acceptably with most suppressors, but is quite a bit over driven and gassy.

it is hardly the right size for dedicated suppressed use.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    The Crane spec of 070 is just large enough to reliably run 556 ammo un-suppressed.

That 070 spec size will also function acceptably with most suppressors, but is quite a bit over driven and gassy.

it is hardly the right size for dedicated suppressed use.
    Thanks Clint. Appreciate it. In a perfect world what do you think is the correct port size for that application?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    The correct gas port size depends on many factors, including the back pressure of the particular supressor model, but most fall just under 060.

That .010" drop from 070 to 060 is a BIG deal and represents a 26% reduction in flow area.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch110 View Post
    Thanks Clint. Appreciate it. In a perfect world what do you think is the correct port size for that application?
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    Finally got this all put together and to the range over the weekend to shoot it with and without the can (Otter Creek Polonium)

1. When I got the barrel in I swabbed the chamber and it came out clean. Ran a few patches down the bore as well and that came out clean too. Visual inspection saw no fouling or port erosion. I don't think this barrel had been shot much, if at all.
    2. Got to the range and shot it without the can to get it on paper. Indoor range (can is still in jail so I was limited to indoors at 25 yards for my conjugal visit so keep that in mind)
    3. First 60 - 100 rounds groups tightened up as expected with a new(ish) barrel.
    4. Running an A5 with Sprinco green and an A5H2 buffer. Recoil impulse was good and ejection pattern was right around 3:00. It was a lot softer than I thought it would be to be honest.
    5. Put the can on and ran another 100 rounds through it. Groups continued to get smaller. I was actually surprised by the lack of gas to the face. Using a Radian CH so no gas diversion. This same can on other rifles is a bit gassy so I was expecting this to be the same if not more so.

Conclusion? 200 rounds or so is by no means a thorough evaluation but initial impressions are that my sample size of one barrel from this lot is pretty darn good. Maybe I got lucky and got one that sat on the armorers shelf? With the can and an RDS and after breaking it in a bit it was consistently .5 to .75 at 25. So probably a 2 to 3 inch gun at 100? Which for a 10.5 milsurp barrel I am fine with. On and was shooting 55 grain Igman .223.

Feedback Score
    Oh my. From the same place I got my barrel.

https://www.littlebyrdprocurement.co...mk18-mod-0-urg

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch110 View Post
    Oh my. From the same place I got my barrel.

https://www.littlebyrdprocurement.co...mk18-mod-0-urg
    GB had some 6933 uppers for around $600 when I looked the other day. With BCG & CH. I got a KAC knock off rail so I was nosing around.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast