Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Colt 10.3 FSP Question

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    How much is the unknown barrel? It might be cool if it all works out, but if it doesn't you have waisted every dime, not just the $100 plus you mention. Best of luck either way Dutch.

PB
    Thanks PB. It ended up being 200 shipped so I took a flyer. Seller has A,B and C grade with him saying A and B are "excellent condition" and C being "Historical grade but functional." I opted for A. I'll either be a hero or a goat. I'll report back once I have it in hand.

Feedback Score
    I could be wrong, but I thought all the "legit" surplus cut downs dried up years ago.

If it's right it doesn't matter who cut it. If it's wrong well...

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch110 View Post
    Thanks PB. It ended up being 200 shipped so I took a flyer. Seller has A,B and C grade with him saying A and B are "excellent condition" and C being "Historical grade but functional." I opted for A. I'll either be a hero or a goat. I'll report back once I have it in hand.
    If you need to chock it down you could use BRT tubes and maybe not do any damage, if your familiar with those tubes. Hopefully it runs as is.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    If you need to chock it down you could use BRT tubes and maybe not do any damage, if your familiar with those tubes. Hopefully it runs as is.

PB
    I've never run them but have heard good things on here.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    For a dedicated suppressed cut down build, you dont want to touch the gas port at all.

It may be setup nicely unless the vendor already opened up the port.

While the FSB is pulled off, pin gage the port to be sure and go from there.

If the port is larger than factory, you'll want to do something to reduce the gas drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch110 View Post
    I am down the rabbit hole on my 10.5 SBR build when it comes to the barrel. I will spare everyone the details but one of the options I came across was a 10.3 Colt surplus barrel with the FSP. It is a cut down 14.5 model. Price is decent so I am seriously considering it (even if I do have to open up the port a bit to get it to cycle a wider range of ammo.) It is most definitely going to have a dedicated can. My one fear is with thread concentricity not knowing who did the chop. Anyone have any feedback/experience on this topic?
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    These are cut down Colt 14.5" with dates of manf. 2005-2010 grade A.

https://www.littlebyrdprocurement.co...ofile-with-fsp
    http://www.m4carbine.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=20651&dateline=1303766618

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowser View Post

Yup. That's where I got this one from. Until I was sure it was legit I didn't want to promo it on here.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    For a dedicated suppressed cut down build, you dont want to touch the gas port at all.

It may be setup nicely unless the vendor already opened up the port.

While the FSB is pulled off, pin gage the port to be sure and go from there.

If the port is larger than factory, you'll want to do something to reduce the gas drive.
    Thanks Clint. Was on your site last night. I am going to gauge the hole and then go from there. Not sure which can is going on this yet. I have an Otter Creek Polonium that just came in but I kind of want to put a K can on this one. Once I get all that data I'll most likely get one of your gas tubes.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    These have the port already opened up to 070, so too large for dedicated suppressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowser View Post

Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    These have the port already opened up to 070, so too large for dedicated suppressed.
    Far be it from me to question the guy who makes a living giving people proper gas levels, but .070 is too large for dedicated suppressed out of a 10.3? I thought the original MK18's were in the .083 range (and very gassy.) Everything I have read says conventional wisdom is to keep it in the .073 ish range for being able to run a variety of ammo. The SOLGW boys use .073 and people complain about their barrels being gassy with a can. Like I said, I defer to your knowledge on this topic it just surprises me because all this time I have been told .070 may actually be too small.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast