Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 686-6 Mainspring & grip replacement

Feedback Score
    I got the Hogue "Bantam" grip & really like it so far. Very size efficient, fits my hand very well, and the fitment could not be better.

Haven't fired it with this grip yet.

I've dry-fired it a bit since the first range trip & it does seem to have started to smooth up. It's good but too heavy.

My Taurus 431, Ruger LCR, King Cobra, and M92X all have superior, lighter DA triggers than this 686.

Needs pull weight reduced.

I need to decide which aftermarket mainsprings to try. I'm not interested in reducing trigger return spring weight.

Any suggestions for a reliable, less-weighty mainspring?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    3 in. Round butt.

With the wood grips, it was only slightly better than the King Cobra. Mild .357 loads were tolerable for a little while and good splits could be achieved at close targets. (.25 - .35 sec.)

But full strength 158 gr .357's kinda hurt and slow things way down.

Same as the much smaller KC.
    For that, try the Pachmayer compacts, just make sure you get the ones with the closed backstrap. I've got a pair on an S&W 64 that are great. Just inspect them before you buy them, some folks are complaining that they have a gap. If you you want something a little bigger try the hogue tamers.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cd228 View Post
    For that, try the Pachmayer compacts, just make sure you get the ones with the closed backstrap. I've got a pair on an S&W 64 that are great. Just inspect them before you buy them, some folks are complaining that they have a gap. If you you want something a little bigger try the hogue tamers.
    Thanks.

I got the Hogue "Bantam" grip & really like it so far. Very size efficient, fits my hand very well, and the fitment could not be better.

Haven't fired it with this grip yet.

Did more dry firing and researched mainsprings. Often leads to a rabbit-hole of strain screw mods, re-bending the mainspring, polishing, installing a longer firing pin, etc. to regain reliability. I'm not doing that I have enough projects. The more I dry fire it the better the trigger seems to get, anyway. It's not bad.

Feedback Score
    Thought I'd update.

The Bantam grip shoots great. It's as big as it needs to be for my hand and no more.

Gun loves 180 gr bullets, very accurate. Very happy with it. Needs a CC holster. Recently got some soft-ish 185 gr LHP's I'll load up to about 925 fps.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12