Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: If You Were To Leave Your State...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    The Greenville area
    This is where I ended up, more or less.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisM516 View Post
    This is where I ended up, more or less.
    I went to ECU, 1987 through '91. But I have all sorts of family down east, and would love to move back down that way.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If I win the lottery, I’m buying 1,000+ acres in Idaho and I would be happy to never see another person ever again… my wife can come too.
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex V View Post
    If I win the lottery, I’m buying 1,000+ acres in Idaho and I would be happy to never see another person ever again… my wife can come too.
    My job decided to go public and basically sold the company to the employees so we will be getting stocks in the company.
    at 5 years its 5%, 10 years 10%.

Im at the point where if I do stick with this place after 10 years I might be able to get a cool many million just to buy a loaf of bread.
    But
    If this country can get back on track I might be able to buy some useless land in the middle of nowhere in the south west thats still green.
    I know how to setup a green house to grow food even in the desert.

I really dont know if this is better than a 401k or if I will even still have this job for the next 5 years.
    Already have 2.8 years under my belt with this place and I ****ing hate it, Its why I was drinking as much as I was beause im like well if this is going to suck I might as well be drunk.

Dont worry the drinking is well beyond under control now, Hell im pretty ****ed up after a 6 of tallboys and I used to do a 750 ish a day of vodka.

But things in these dark times are starting to have a nice glow at the end.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    What states have legalized weed and had it turn out well? I mean a drop in crime, a rise in revenue, lower drug use, and less accidents (etc etc)....
    Alaska legalized to regulated weed like alcohol a few years ago. It has been legal to grow and possess small amounts for as long as I can remember. I could buy weed way easier than beer when I was in high school in the 80's, so it's been mainstream here for a long time. I serve on our state alcoholic beverage control board and our sister board is the marijuana control board. There really hasn't been a good study on crime or intoxication crimes related to marijuana here, but my impression is that nothing has really changed. What has changed is that the cops aren't messing around with weed and can spend time on the serious issue we have with meth, heroine and fentanyl. Meth has been an issue for a couple decades, so I'm not sure legalization of weed had any effect on that.

I will say that marijuana production and retail employs a bunch of people in my community, as does our brewery and distillery, and they spend quite a bit of money with my building materials business. Alaska law says that marijuana must be grown in state and all owners of production and retail marijuana businesses must be Alaska residents.
    Last edited by AKDoug; 05-26-23 at 02:17.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    I might be an odd duck since I never had a state to call home. Grew up in the military and until recently continued it, so I never lived anywhere more than 3-4 years max. Started doing a lot of research and traveling to find a place to put down roots when we started our family and settled on South Carolina last year. My parents followed shortly behind us to help raise the grandkids. Seems like everyone else did too. I'm tired of bouncing around and running so we are trying to integrate/assimilate quickly and refuse to buckle under when the wave hits.

Yesterday my dad was at a locally-owned book store talking to the owner. When he mentioned moving in recently the owner's friend chimed in and asked "new eh? So, are you a Republican or do we need to get the ammo?"

I'm finally home and I've never felt so relieved.
    As a lifetime South Carolinian, where might this book shop be? Sounds like I need to send some business their way.

I've always enjoyed living in upstate SC. It's close to the mountains, and not too far from the coast, where I did spend 3 years after graduating from Clemson. If I were to move, it would be to Western NC or Eastern TN. I'd possibly consider North GA. I've always been enamored with the mountainous regions of NC and TN from camping trips when I was a child. I now spend several days and weekends out of the year up there fly fishing and camping.

I'd love to be in Idaho, Montana, or Wyoming, but I'm probably not cut out for those winters.
    Last edited by HCrum87hc; 05-26-23 at 11:14.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HCrum87hc View Post
    As a lifetime South Carolinian, where might this book shop be? Sounds like I need to send some business their way.

I've always enjoyed living in upstate SC. It's close to the mountains, and not too far from the coast, where I did spend 3 years after graduating from Clemson. If I were to move, it would be to Western NC or Eastern TN. I'd possibly consider North GA. I've always been enamored with the mountainous regions of NC and TN from camping trips when I was a child. I now spend several days and weekends out of the year up there fly fishing and camping.

I'd love to be in Idaho, Montana, or Wyoming, but I'm probably not cut out for those winters.
    My wife's family all live in MT and have for generations. It's beautiful but when we were complaining about 2 degree winters this past year they were at -57 (wind chill), so that's a hard pass.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Wyoming is full

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    As a lifelong Mississippian, I don't see me leaving. Great hunting, fishing, & great people as well. Gun regs are very, very pro-gun. The county I live in is over 800 square miles (big for Mississippi), but has less than 19,000 people in it.

Yeah, the heat and humidity can be brutal. I get around that by doing the stuff I like in the morning before it gets too hot. The hurricanes (I'm less than two hours from the coast) and occasional tornado aren't fun, but anywhere you go is gonna have some type of weather issue.

To top it off, I'm only 30 miles away from the famous town of Laurel, MS!! (Home Town with Ben & Erin Napier sarcasm)
    Last edited by LOBO; 05-29-23 at 20:14.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    My wife's family has lived in MT for generations. It's beautiful but when we were complaining about 2-degree winters this past year they were at -57 (wind chill), so that's a hard pass.
    I am a lifelong Nyer, sad to say. Aside from the bullshit, it's really an incredible place, with great outdoor activities, hunting, fishing, and winter sports of all sorts—also, lots of history, culture, entertainment, great sports teams, etc. But as you get older and realize there are other things that just rub you the wrong way, which sucks. I live upstate, more like Central NY so I am away from most of the crap. Anyways with that said I was in AZ for 4 years in the Air Force, loved it but my wife wouldn't take the heat, after the AF I ended up in Montana for several years, worked lived, & after getting married we had our son while in Montana but unfortunately came home to NY and been here ever since. So, I can relate to those cold winters, we would get weeks at a time and it wouldn't get above 0 degrees, it would go from -25 and warm up to -10 and it was a heat wave, LOL So with that said my daughter lives in SE Texas with her husband and my 3 grandkids, so if I was to go anyplace it most likely would be there. My wife hates the heat there, but I hate the winters here more, heat doesn't typically bother me that much. As much as I would like to be closer to my kid's sorry boys Texas isn't all it's cracked up to be, LOL So, we will see, this is my last year of working, and we will go from there & see what plays out.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast