Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Current Sionics Gas Ports

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by w3453l View Post
    I’m sure the BRT gas tubes are good quality kit, and I probably wouldn’t hesitate to try one out if needed. But if I’m buying a barrel I’d rather just have the GP right from the start.
    Agreed! Plus those tubes aren't cheap!
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I’ve seen Sionics 12.5” barrels mentioned a few times, but don’t recall ever seeing one on their website.

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    I have a pair of 11.5" that are less than 2 years old. As I recall, they are 0.0625" ports.
    Are yours the RGP or ERGP barrels?

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Agreed! Plus those tubes aren't cheap!
    Yeah they’re not cheap, but still a good fix if you happen to already have an over gassed barrel vs tossing the barrel and finding a new one. But like I said earlier, if I’m starting with a stripped barrel I just rather have it right from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    I’ve seen Sionics 12.5” barrels mentioned a few times, but don’t recall ever seeing one on their website.
    They are up on their site now. Im not sure how long they’ve been there, but I also see a 14.8” length as well.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Are yours the RGP or ERGP barrels?
    Mine are considered the standard barrel. At the time the barrels were purchased, you only had the choice between standard and ERGP. From what I've read, the RGP became the standard barrel at some point prior.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Yeah they’re not cheap, but still a good fix if you happen to already have an over gassed barrel vs tossing the barrel and finding a new one. But like I said earlier, if I’m starting with a stripped barrel I just rather have it right from the start.
    Agree on both points.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I can't find my notes with the gas port size on my Sionics 12.5 mid-length barrel. I've only shot it with AE 75grain TMJ and Speer 75grain Gold Dot, but it's perfectly gassed with an A5H2. Ejection is at 3:30 and it's VERY soft shooting. With a Surefire Mini it ejects at 2:00.

I've been very happy with this barrel. I've shot four of them and they've all been 1.75" or less for 10 shot groups. Mine is consistently under 1.5", often at 1.25" for 10 shots.
    HIPPIES SMELL

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    Mine are considered the standard barrel. At the time the barrels were purchased, you only had the choice between standard and ERGP. From what I've read, the RGP became the standard barrel at some point prior.
    I hope that’s still the case today. Regardless, I ended up ordering another one but in ERGP. When i get home before the New Year I’ll take measurements of the two and post what i find here.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedreaux View Post
    I can't find my notes with the gas port size on my Sionics 12.5 mid-length barrel. I've only shot it with AE 75grain TMJ and Speer 75grain Gold Dot, but it's perfectly gassed with an A5H2. Ejection is at 3:30 and it's VERY soft shooting. With a Surefire Mini it ejects at 2:00.

I've been very happy with this barrel. I've shot four of them and they've all been 1.75" or less for 10 shot groups. Mine is consistently under 1.5", often at 1.25" for 10 shots.
    Interesting, i had no idea they ever offered a 12.5 midlength.

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    I wanted to give an update. I have a Sionics ERGP 12.5" midlength barrel that just came in and I was able to get a look at the gas port.

Unfortunately, I couldn't get an exact measurement because I don't have the right pin gauges.

However, I was able to confirm that it is smaller than 0.073.

0.073 was the smallest pin gauge I had on hand, and it didn't fit. This is the Extreme Reduced Gas Port barrel, and it is a midlength. Hopefully I can have this built into an upper soon.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I have a pair of 11.5" that are less than 2 years old. As I recall, they are 0.0625" ports.
    I don’t think they’d spec that as the standard gas port; .0625 would get reliability complaints in a 11.5” unsuppressed. I think the RGP used to be .070”, which never made sense to call “reduced” or full-time suppressed….its a normal gas port size thats been used by Colt and BA for unsuppressed guns successfully. “Standard” is the right name for it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    When I bought mine a few years ago, they offered standard, RGP, and ERGP. I think the reduced was .0625”, and mine has been completely reliable unsuppressed. I’ve been running random hand loads nowhere near full 5.56 pressure…unsuppressed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast