Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Current Sionics Gas Ports

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)

Current Sionics Gas Ports

Does anyone happen to have measurements on the current production Sionics barrels? I’m looking at the 12.5 and 11.5 lengths.

I did email them a few months ago asking this question, but they said to call them. I called and spoke to one of the guys, but he wouldn’t give a size. While I’ve bought from them in the past, and I’m sure they know what they’re doing, I’d like to have an actual size rather than “trust us, we don’t over gas our barrels like the other guys”.

I looked at older threads with posted GP sizes, but it looks like they’ve been changing throughout the years. I also see that under complete uppers they have options for “ERGP” and “Dedicated Suppressed Use” on top of whatever their standard GP size is.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Haven't seen current Sionics stuff at all. Do they still offer the "RGP"? That is the perfect unsuppressed port size.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    I don’t see an RGP on their website. Just standard, ERGP, and Dedicated Suppressed Use which is something I haven’t seen from them before.

It makes me wonder if “Dedicated suppressed” is just what the old ERGP was, and then maybe ERGP just took the place of RGP.

But it’s hard to know without any published sizes.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Sucks that they had to complicate things like that. RGP and ERGP was fine.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    If they don’t want to disclose size I’d just move on to someone else.

It’s some huge secret. It’s easy to measure if you have a set of drill bits, and pin gauges are cheap enough.

So why bother not telling someone something they can easily figure out?

I guess last option is order a barrel or two measure the gas ports when you get them and return what you don’t want.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I found them easy to work with. I called them, told them what I wanted, they told me what to buy, and they FSB'd it by my request. This was a few years ago, but it mirrors every experience I've had with them.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by opngrnd View Post
    I found them easy to work with. I called them, told them what I wanted, they told me what to buy, and they FSB'd it by my request. This was a few years ago, but it mirrors every experience I've had with them.
    I've read that they stopped with the FSB reaming/pinning. Things may have changed... I too haven't bought from them in years.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don’t see the need to obsess about gas port size anymore with Clint’s gas tubes available. If you’re buying duty grade equipment form solid companies, you’re probably going to be fine. If it turns out it’s not exactly what you want, just put in a BRT gas tube. I think he even offers them in custom port sizes.

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS951 View Post
    If they don’t want to disclose size I’d just move on to someone else.

It’s some huge secret. It’s easy to measure if you have a set of drill bits, and pin gauges are cheap enough.

So why bother not telling someone something they can easily figure out?

I guess last option is order a barrel or two measure the gas ports when you get them and return what you don’t want.
    I agree with all your points. It’s just that their 12.5” barrels check all the right boxes for me, minus the unknown of the GP. There just aren’t that many options with 12.5” barrels out there, or I’m not looking in the right places.

And the thing is I’m pretty sure one of the 3 options of GP size they have would be just what im looking for, but it’s a guessing game as to which one it is. And while doable, it’s a hassle to buy all 3 and measure the port sizes and then return the other two.

For what it’s worth, I did buy the 12.5” standard GP sized barrel a few weeks ago. At the time the ERGP and Dedicated Suppressed weren’t listed on their site. It wasn’t until the other day I saw them pop up on their website. Which prompted the question.

I’m overseas for the moment, so there isn’t really anyway for me to measure the gas ports until I return anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Inkslinger View Post
    I don’t see the need to obsess about gas port size anymore with Clint’s gas tubes available. If you’re buying duty grade equipment form solid companies, you’re probably going to be fine. If it turns out it’s not exactly what you want, just put in a BRT gas tube. I think he even offers them in custom port sizes.
    I’m sure the BRT gas tubes are good quality kit, and I probably wouldn’t hesitate to try one out if needed. But if I’m buying a barrel I’d rather just have the GP right from the start.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have a pair of 11.5" that are less than 2 years old. As I recall, they are 0.0625" ports.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast