Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Summer time: Grades of Pork? "Waygu of Pork" adverts

Feedback Score
    Sadly I don’t have a ton to add re: the waygu of pork/Iberico . Sadly, I too fear food-borne illness! BUT I just wanted to make a plea for, if possible, knowing your food and farmer.
    I live rurally in a place where great quality food is widely available but sadly still super expensive. I try to eat a largely animal based diet (ala Paul Saladino, aka Carnivoremd) so price for me is really important. I do routinely succumb to chain/supermarket specials BUT 9 times out of 10 I’m buying from the farmer directly or a distributor who does. The quality is ridiculously better and knowing that what I ate lived a great life, never touched a pesticide, grain, hormone, or antibiotic is completely worth it to me. I look at it like hunting and am similarly particular in that endeavor.
    As such I would recommend sourcing a Kunekune,aka field pig , and giving that a shot. In my experience they are lean but super flavorful!

Best of luck and I hope this weekend includes a nice feast for you and yours!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    Ugh, work stuff leaking into brain....

I've avoided Sous Vide just on a gear and Botulism fetish. Looks like I need to up that game.

I took out a lot of the fat and cooked the pork shoulder at 225 for over 12 hours on my Yoder. Barely needed to throw any fat away when I pulled it. Son said it was the best I've done so far.

One thing is that when I pull the pork it often ends up looking more like Tuna from a can, rather than the strands of meat that see at BBQ joints. I let the meat rest for a few hours, but do I need to let it cool before I pull it? Or am I just expecting the wrong texture.
    For boneless cuts (butt roast is my go-to), i chop it in 2-3" chunks and sear in cast iron. Cook it low and slow (crock pot, low 8hrs) and it shredds by stirring with a spoon vigorously.

Feedback Score
    Great insights. Thanks. I dallied in local grass fed steak, butt the filets were too lean, and that is all that my wife likes. I find most rib eyes to be too fatty, so those were pretty good but like I said, no go with the wife.

My wife is a sport and puts up with the pulled pork. She eats the meal, but never has any leftovers. My kids on the other hand love it. One pork butt makes a dinner and then 6 lunch servings (i usually just eat the meat or make a burrito) over 2-3 days. I usually cook two, and I only pulled one and then froze the other rather than ending up throwing it out. Interested to see how that is when I thaw it out.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    Great insights. Thanks. I dallied in local grass fed steak, butt the filets were too lean, and that is all that my wife likes. I find most rib eyes to be too fatty, so those were pretty good but like I said, no go with the wife.

My wife is a sport and puts up with the pulled pork. She eats the meal, but never has any leftovers. My kids on the other hand love it. One pork butt makes a dinner and then 6 lunch servings (i usually just eat the meat or make a burrito) over 2-3 days. I usually cook two, and I only pulled one and then froze the other rather than ending up throwing it out. Interested to see how that is when I thaw it out.
    Brother is you ever freezer burn another Pork Roast, try this before throwing it out. Make Pazole.

I grew up eating this stuff and it to me is better than Chili. My Mom makes it every time I'm home.
    Last edited by Averageman; 05-26-23 at 12:58.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Nothing I have ever cooked sous vide has ever provided an environment for Botulism to grow. It’s cooking at temperatures that can pasteurize and then it’s seared off or back in the refrigerator.

If you have a manual switch crockpot the only thing you need is a temp controller and ziplock bags.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Sort of in the same subject, but have you guys tried baking you bacon? Cookie sheet and tin foil, bake at 350 for 50ish minutes. The fat renders and tenderizer the meat.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1_click_off View Post
    Sort of in the same subject, but have you guys tried baking you bacon?
    No. But I do cook bacon in a pellet grill, which is basically a smoke oven. Often candied.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    No. But I do cook bacon in a pellet grill, which is basically a smoke oven. Often candied.
    Yep, I do that as well.

I like the oven baked bacon on Saturday mornings so the house doesn’t smell like bacon all day, not that there is anything wrong with that!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12