Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the ideal mounting option for RDS or how could it be improved.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

What is the ideal mounting option for RDS or how could it be improved.

I saw where SA's new gun has multiple screw mounting options for direct thread mounts for RDS. Which is cool just like Sig has started to do. Now we do need to standardize screw size with maybe a beefier screw, but we can let that pass for now.

My only gripe with these direct mounts is the RDS does not fit snugly into the slide mitigating stress on the screws of RDS. Like you get with Langdon Tactical or Vulcan Machine Werks mount that uses a plate with rear sight. But what is cool is the RDS snugly fits into the mount, pops in tightly. And the screws have little stress IMHO. Now the plate sits higher than I would like but it "Werks".

I think would be ideal if they could figure a direct mount or direct mount option that had some type of a wedge that served to squeeze the RDS into place almost like a Lug on a barrel into a stock.

OK, my rant is over. I feel like they are trying to move into the right direction, but improving the discussion never hurts.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    There is never going to be "a standard."

At this point, the most logical thing to me would be a DPP cut with screw holes for the RMR and Docter patterns and thin plates that bracket the smaller bodied optics into place (this is done on the Sig and S&W cuts). The DPP screw pattern is the same as the 507K/EPS/RMSc (but the optic is bigger). Basically everything else uses RMR or Docter/Noblex screw patterns. Optics like the MPS, Acro, and 509T can attach via a plate that mates up with any of the screw patterns listed.

Systems like Agency Arms AOS, Nighthawk IOS, and Unity Atom are costly to develop, and because of that, they are not generally available to use without licensing. They all also eventually default back to an existing optic footprint.

Feedback Score
    The footprint and mounting method of the Aimpoint ACRO should be the standard. Period. Everything else is inferior.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    The footprint and mounting method of the Aimpoint ACRO should be the standard. Period. Everything else is inferior.
    If you want a bigger optic with a smaller window. On a full sized pistol it’s probably going to get more popular, as size isn’t really a concern in a duty holster.

It’s just big and often sits higher on the small to medium pistols that many people actually carry concealed. And it’s not just the ACRO, that footprint design gives up the most efficient use of space to allow for that mounting system.

I think we may see some pistols designed for lower mounting come out. That could bring a new mount system, but it will probably have multiple plates.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Maybe the new trend will be designing a pistol around the optic/mounting system itself, rather than it being the add-on that it currently is with all designs.

That is, designing the slide so that the internals ride as low as mechanically possible, so that mounting systems like the Acro can be even lower.

Feedback Score
    If the industry standardized the cross slot recoil lug ACRO mounting there’s not much stopping them from direct milling a slide to get the ACRO pretty damn low even on a current design. The ACRO needs a hell of a lot less depth than an RMR for a solid mounting, and there is no need to drill and tap the slide to accept any screws that will then have to withstand shear forces.

Get rid of the need for an adapter plate and the ACRO can get really low already.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yeah, I suppose that's true.

Be interesting to see a small, RMR style open emitter that uses the Acro footprint.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    If the industry standardized the cross slot recoil lug ACRO mounting there’s not much stopping them from direct milling a slide to get the ACRO pretty damn low even on a current design.
    Where is the battery and emitter moved to in the ACRO design? How does that impact the ability to make an overall compact design?

Feedback Score
    Battery is on the side of the optic body.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    And again:
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    How does that impact the ability to make an overall compact design?
    These small sights have a lot of stuff crammed into a tight space. Everything is a design compromise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast