Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Random .22 Pistol Rant

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

Random .22 Pistol Rant

I was skimming a review of a small, inexpensive .22 pistol (Keltec P17) and at the end the talk turned to advantages of .22 LR pistols. The points were basically cheap ammo and low recoil for new shooters. To give the reviewer credit, self defense was not mentioned. Another review by American Rifleman did state that .22 pistols are an alternative defensive gun for people who cannot shoot a more powerful pistol.

I really wish people who should know better would stop.

.22s (especially semi-auto pistols) are terrible for self defense. Rimfire cartridges are inherently less reliable than centerfire, and adding a heel-based bullet just introduces more potential failures. If you cannot shoot/manipulate a larger caliber pistol, how will you clear the inevitable malfunction with a rimfire pistol.

At least with a double action revolver, pulling the trigger again gives the shooter a fresh cartridge. Of course, a new shooter or one with reduced grip strength will struggle to actually hit something while fighting the trigger pull.

A decent quality .22 LR pistol is great for teaching new shooters, as long as it has a decent trigger pull and sights and acceptable accuracy. Ammunition cost, low recoil, and reduced muzzle blast all contribute to valuable and enjoyable learning.

But they are a poor choice for self defense. I would argue that it's worse than no gun for someone that does not shoot it often.

Would I keep a Ruger Mark II as my only pistol? Sure, and I have, but I can load, unload, clear malfunctions in the dark with it and positively hit what I aim at. I also augmented it with a centerfire handgun as soon as I was able.

Andy

PS/EDIT: I should say I can positively hit with it at home/self defense range.
    Last edited by AndyLate; 06-01-23 at 14:08.

Feedback Score
    Not all .22LR ammo is created equal. Some of it can be quite reliable, like high end match ammo, or hunting ammo like the CCI Velocitor.

Most people aren’t going to buy that stuff though, and even if they do feeding it to some small micro compact semiautomatic pistol is probably just going to result in malfunctions. Move up to a larger .22 auto pistol that is made to be shot extensively and you might as well carry a centerfire pistol.

Now a J frame sized DA revolver with 8-10 rounds of CCI Velocitors on board might just be a contender for a pocket gun. Probably more than capable of handling a self defense scenario where it’s up close and personal like a robbery, and you want to make a dirtbag decide to go away.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The major issue with .22 pistols in america is the ammunition.

Its absolute shit, even the best american .22 is just range trash for the europeans(seeing as thats all they can really own).
    According to reports no one in europe has an issue with the g44.

Id take literally anything else in self defense than anything american and 22LR in its name, a baseball bat with a hundred nails spiked in it is a better bet than a 22lr gun.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Would I keep a Ruger Mark II as my only pistol? Sure, and I have, but I can load, unload, clear malfunctions in the dark with it and positively hit what I aim at. I also augmented it with a centerfire handgun as soon as I was able.

Andy
    But, can you pull the take down lever out and re-assembly it in the dark??? I am with you on this one, love my Mark II.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidneyious View Post

Id take literally anything else in self defense than anything american and 22LR in its name, a baseball bat with a hundred nails spiked in it is a better bet than a 22lr gun.
    What ammo are you buying? Remington thunderbolt? Tac-22?

I have never had a CCI SV, CCI mini mag, CCI stinger not go boom. Sure I have had 1 or 2 from a bulk 550 box of federal not light off. What are you doing to your ammo to have such bad luck? The ONLY ammo I have had act like you are claiming is thunderbolt and tac22.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1_click_off View Post
    But, can you pull the take down lever out and re-assembly it in the dark??? I am with you on this one, love my Mark II.

What ammo are you buying? Remington thunderbolt? Tac-22?

I have never had a CCI SV, CCI mini mag, CCI stinger not go boom. Sure I have had 1 or 2 from a bulk 550 box of federal not light off. What are you doing to your ammo to have such bad luck? The ONLY ammo I have had act like you are claiming is thunderbolt and tac22.
    My son and daughter-in-law burned through a whole brick of Thunderbolt in my 10-22 with no issues one day. Still haven't worked out how that was possible.

I admit, I mostly shoot cheap bulk or factory second 22 ammo.

Andy

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Try those thunderbolts in your mark II. I bet you can’t make it past 3 mags. Unless they changed that nasty green lube in the last 30 years, mine wouldn’t cycle after 3 mags.

Edit:
    And you get practice taking it down for a deep clean!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I bought Thunderbolt because at the time it was cheap and I didn't know better.. CCI is an improvement so is Norma..

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1_click_off View Post
    Try those thunderbolts in your mark II. I bet you can’t make it past 3 mags. Unless they changed that nasty green lube in the last 30 years, mine wouldn’t cycle after 3 mags.

Edit:
    And you get practice taking it down for a deep clean!
    I couldn't make it past three mags with the 1st brick I bought (I have only ever purchased 2 bricks) because every 4th or 5th round was either a dud or severely underpowered. I left the rest of the brick sitting on the bench when I went home.

My son said they would shoot the second brick (years later) because " it can't be that bad".

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 05-27-23 at 11:06.

Feedback Score
    I rarely shoot .22, and don't currently own one, but when I did, yea, none of the guns or ammo could be counted on.

I've had misfires with nearly all of it.

However, in the few hundred rounds of Aguila's hot 40 gr & CCI's hot 40 gr (Velocitors) I didn't have misfires. But it would take 500 rnds minimum through a particular gun with a particular ammo in .22 before I'd start to trust it.

Anyway, this is why I see a hole in the market for .25 acp!

I'd LOVE to have a S&W Compact sized .25! Threaded, with an optic! Central-fire reliability, FMJ bullets to keep cans cleaner, subsonic bullets, and reloadable!

Rifle, too! With a different powder choice and lighter bullets velocity could certainly match a hot .22LR.

And being reloadable, you could do it yourself!

Feedback Score
    never personally had a issue with thunderbolt and in fact even a finicky pistol likes it , but for me the best .22 LR ammo is CCI mini mags , i love .22 day , i might shoot for a hour with the larger gus , .22 day can last 4 easy

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast